Installing slate over an asphalt roof Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Slate Roofs » Installing slate over an asphalt roof « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Chad Kister
Posted on Thursday, May 04, 2006 - 10:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just bought a home with a deteriorating asphalt roof. I am wanting to put in a slate roof myself over the asphalt roof. I know the common procedure is to remove the asphalt, but that seems a waste of material, and I was wondering if I could just put the slate over the asphalt, and it would stay as added insulation and a backup underneath roof.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Dave Snyder
Posted on Thursday, May 04, 2006 - 01:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Chad well I guess there are many of us that have seen Slate installed over Asphalt. I myself have removed a couple of them, but never installed over one. I think that asking Joe Jenkins personally his experience on that or of any roofing no no's that may be true for that. Nevertheless Slate itself is a great covering for any surface. If it were a viable way to go you would certainly have a few things to consider. 1. Was the original Roof structure Built for Slate? 2. How dry is the current roof deck? 3. And be thorough in Flashing details. 4. If not removing the shingles you may also find areas of problem or concern that couldn't be detected otherwise. Installing the slate itself is not so difficult if you do your homework and take your time. But in the same sense any comprimises that are in the original roof that prevent you from either fastening the slates correctly or have too much uneveness in surface causing your slate to bridge are not good. So Myself I hope I was able to give you some advice, but I think that Joe will have more solid knowledge on this.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration