Slate Roof. Where To Begin? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Slate Roofs » Slate Roof. Where To Begin? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Mdoyle1 (Mdoyle1)
Username: Mdoyle1

Post Number: 3
Posted on Wednesday, January 02, 2013 - 11:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the advice! I'll keep you guys posted with the progress. (I'm not sure on the exact size of the rafter.)

Blue_sky_roofing (Blue_sky_roofing)
Username: Blue_sky_roofing

Post Number: 57
Posted on Tuesday, January 01, 2013 - 09:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm supprised that the copper ridge isn't doing a better job of deterring algae/moss growth. (Copper & zinc strips act as an oxide wash against algae)

Do as Old School says with 50/50 bleach. There is also chemicals at Trader Horn, Home Depot, etc. also excusively for this situation. It may take some time for it to wash off (one job I sprayed down; it took about 1.5 yrs for it to all wash off naturally). It wouldn't hurt to spray about every 3-4 months since you have moss also on the roof till its gone.

Your roof is going to look great - it is already lookin pretty darn good. Just needs that little bit of maintenance.

Edit: How long of a rafter is on the front side of house... 24'?

(Message edited by Blue Sky Roofing on January 01, 2013)

Old_school (Old_school)
Username: Old_school

Post Number: 931
Posted on Monday, December 31, 2012 - 04:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mark, It looks like a fairly good roof! It is semi weathering gray/green and the light brown slates you see are the "semi" part of the equation. The first thing I would do is to cut a lot of the trees away from the roof. That is why the "stuff" is growing on the roof in the first place. Make sure you don't cut the limbs and bounce them off the roof in the process!

Soap and water would take off some of the crud, but you may try some bleach and water about, 50/50 in a garden sprayer first. It will kill the algae in short order and it will eventually fall off the roof, especially if the trees are gone and the sun can get to the roof. They have "fixed" a few of the gray slates with black ones and you will want to replace those too. It looks like they redid the flat roof dormers with a modified bitumen membrane and I am not sure what they did with the slates above the dormers. You will want to take some pictures of that for us to see. Maybe some repairs above the dormers. One step at a time and keep us in the loop so you don't over do it at first. good luck. It looks like about 70 to 80 years old.

Mdoyle1 (Mdoyle1)

Post Number: 2
Posted on Monday, December 31, 2012 - 11:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just added some pictures from the attic. Looks like a neanderthal was up there.

Attic of the Slate Roof Colonial

Mdoyle1 (Mdoyle1)

Post Number: 1
Posted on Saturday, December 29, 2012 - 10:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just purchased this 1920 Mill house
Http://www.markjamesdoylejr.com

The roof needs maintenance and I'm going to be doing all the work myself.

I just picked up the Slate Roof Bible.
I wondering where I should begin.
Please check out my site to view the roof.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration