Venting a slate roof after installati... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Slate Roofs » Venting a slate roof after installation?? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Mary Elizabeth Russ
Posted on Monday, April 24, 2006 - 01:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My husband and I recently purchased an historic brick house with a new (six years old) slate roof. The new slate roof replaced the original slate roof that was damaged in a storm. The roof was not vented when installed. Is it possible to vent a slate roof (sofit vents? ridge vents?) after the roof has been installed for six years? If yes, what would this entail? Someone mentioned placing gable vents on the side of the house instead, however, chimneys are on both sides of my attic and the area on either side of the chimneys are ~ 12 inches of brick thick. Would gable vents be more practical or more work? Does anyone have any references for placing vents in a slate roof after it has been installed? Thanks to anyone with information or advice.

Anonymous
Posted on Monday, April 24, 2006 - 01:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you have room to add soffit vents then a copper or slate ridge vent can be done very nicely--we do it all the time. You also need to know (check) how the existing insulating was done. If the attic floor was insulated your all set--if between the rafters (ceiling of attic)was where the insulation was installed you need to check and see if air-flow (styrofoam) baffles was installed if not you need to remove all insulation between rafters, install air-flow baffles then reinstall insulation. If air cannot flow from eve of roof to peak you've done nothing. It's like a automobile there needs to be an intake (vents at eve) and a exhaust (vent at ridge or box vents installed near ridge). And that is how you do that.

Mary Elizabeth Russ
Posted on Tuesday, April 25, 2006 - 12:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A "thank you" to the person who responded to my inquiry about venting a pre-existing slate roof. I appreciate the knowledge that the roof may still be vented even though complete (I had heard rumors that once a slate roof was installed, the roof would be very difficult to vent.) Your response has removed my concerns. Thank you again for taking the time to reply.

admin
Posted on Tuesday, April 25, 2006 - 04:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You can also install low-profile roof vents on an existing slate roof, without difficulty. You can buy them (aluminum - brown or mill finish) at any building supply store. When we install them, we try to put them where they are not so obvious, such as the back side of the roof. You can also install electric ones with fans.

Joe

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration