Questions on slating hips and ridges Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Slate Roofs » Questions on slating hips and ridges « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Kevin McPherson
Posted on Wednesday, April 12, 2006 - 02:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've read the slate roof bible and with it's guidance have been able to patch several holes in our roof from Hurricane Katrina. Even better, my repairs look much better than work I've seen being done by so called "professionals", walking on slate, using straps for slate hooks, and tarring everything in sight.

However, the hips and ridges need some serious attention. The guide to slating hips instructs to use 3/4" furring strips on the hips, but makes no mention of the width. I'm guessing that this should be a 1x4 piece of lumber?

Second question: Where can I get the 8" x 10" copper step flashing. I don't see it on the jenkinsslate.com web site and when I called, I was told that was not an available product. Am I better off just going to home depot and getting a roll of alluminum flashing?

The roof is about 90 years old and looks to be a semi-weathering green slate in pretty good condition.

Thank you in advance.

admin
Posted on Friday, April 14, 2006 - 12:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

We sell the copper flashing, which you can then cut to size and bend yourself to make your step flashings. The size of the step flashings depends on the size of the slate. http://www.jenkinsslate.com/store_flashing.html

Anonymous
Posted on Saturday, April 29, 2006 - 05:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Joe;
My name is Gene from Newtown,Bucks County. My builder had his sub contractor install a gorgeous new slate roof on our addition.During the installation the sub kept throwing out about 30-40% of the slate after either looking at them or 'listening' to them.I thought that he must be doing a great job being so critical but that was not the case.I just found out that they used plain galvanized nails some of which are starting to rust, the ridge cap is aluminum that is too short to cover the nail heads and the cap faces the weather.Also at the ridge there is a opening where the plywood sheathing reaches towards the ridge but is a few inches short leaving an open space.We did use urethane and not a ridge vent. With the sun shining I also noticed some flashing (probably galvanized) between some starter courses.I am terribly upset.I called one roofer who claims to have 28 years experience .He took his tool to remove some broken slates but stated that the roof was nailed too tight and it was done incorectly neccesitating additional slates to be removed since they were breaking.He took off a small portion of one ridge and showed me that the builder only used an aluminum cap and not copper even though the gutters and valleys are copper. The aluminum which was only about 3 inches on each side did not cover the nail heads and he replaced that small section with copper and turned the slates away from the weather.All the ridges face the weather which didn't seem corect. .Is there anything that I can do now? I did this so that my grandchildren would be able to live here and not be concerned about roof problems.

Gene

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration