Opinions of Qwik Slate fastening method? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Slate Roofs » Opinions of Qwik Slate fastening method? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

John_chan (John_chan)
Username: John_chan

Post Number: 121
Posted on Sunday, October 21, 2012 - 01:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Ward,

Obviously it depends on how cut up the roof is, like John said. On a straight gable, it saves about 50% of the labor costs. On a more cut up roof, it saves about 25% of the labor costs.

Here's a couple more videos on it. The first one shows using a nail gun for the stainless steel ring shank nails instead of hand nailing it. The second one is from the AIA show in Washington DC.

http://www.durablematerials.net/qwikslate.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHk7INzLTiU

This system really helped us on 3 new roofs that we would have lost to synthetics because of costs. The lowered labor rate enabled us to be competitive with the synthetics, and in each case they selected going with the real thing! That's 3 slate roofs we saved from the "mud flap manufacturer's."

John

Scottishslater (Scottishslater)
Username: Scottishslater

Post Number: 156
Posted on Sunday, October 21, 2012 - 06:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You can actually get a nail gun that fires the hooks

Scottishslater (Scottishslater)
Username: Scottishslater

Post Number: 155
Posted on Sunday, October 21, 2012 - 06:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i prefer just the standard hooks or nails

Olde_mohawk_masonry__historic_restoration (Olde_mohawk_masonry__historic_restoration)
Username: Olde_mohawk_masonry__historic_restoration

Post Number: 175
Posted on Saturday, October 20, 2012 - 08:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I watched John's video on this system on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJev9jlZ2wo&feature=plcp

Then I watched a Tru-Slate installation video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63qmSqXHtuU

I see the differences in materials and methods, so I won't waste anyone's time with that discussion. But what is the difference in price? Let's say we have a new gable roof, no demo, 36 square, 8:12 pitch with Vermont Sea Green 18 x 12's.

If the "traditional" method is $X/square, labor + material, how much is Qwik Slate? What are the savings offered?

Old_school (Old_school)
Username: Old_school

Post Number: 907
Posted on Saturday, October 20, 2012 - 06:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I was there and saw it demonstrated, and I know that a version or type of that system is used extensively in Europe. Especially on wide open areas, it would work very well indeed. On a cut up slate roof, not as well. You will also have to lay the slates with a common setback and therefore have to line up the vertical slots. Not a big deal for a slater that can measure, but one more thing to do. I like how the slates are never stressed by over nailing since there are no nails, and a cracked slate will also not slide out because of the hook. Staggered applications will be a challenge and so will graduated applications or the German type of application.

I say all these things yet I have never used the system. Know also that Durable has a reason to push it since they sell it too. Not good nor bad mind you but a fact. Depending on what type of a slate roof you are talking about, try it. there is nothing wrong with it. JMHO

Ohioandy (Ohioandy)
Username: Ohioandy

Post Number: 2
Posted on Saturday, October 20, 2012 - 05:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just got off the phone with a representative of a SRCA member company. I called to discuss my upcoming project of slate installation on a new house. Among other things, the new QWIK Slate hanging method was mentioned, and for that matter, highly recommended. Apparently it was just demonstrated at last month's SRCA meeting.

Would really appreciate anyone's informed opinion or gut reaction to this product. It's PVC strips with pendant wire hooks, nailed to the deck, and each slate is supported with a single hook and laterally by the wires.

Thanks!

Andy

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration