Copper hip/ridge caps with aluminum g... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Slate Roofs » Copper hip/ridge caps with aluminum gutters? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Avb3 (Avb3)
Username: Avb3

Post Number: 2
Posted on Wednesday, October 17, 2012 - 12:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The outside of the gutter came with a finished color, but the inside is not painted. Note, I only have hips/ridges, no valleys. I assume valleys would be worse because large amounts of rainwater from the entire roof would wash over the copper in the valleys and enter the gutter at a single point. But ridges only get the direct rainwater that lands on them, and that then dissipates over the roof and gets diluted with the rest of the rainwater. So, I would think that would minimize the effects on the aluminum. Anyway, thanks for the DTM paint recommendation.

Olde_mohawk_masonry__historic_restoration (Olde_mohawk_masonry__historic_restoration)
Username: Olde_mohawk_masonry__historic_restoration

Post Number: 174
Posted on Wednesday, October 17, 2012 - 11:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the trough of the aluminum gutter painted or just the outside? If its unpainted inside you may have issues. There's also a significant difference between runoff water in a horizontal gutter vs a perpendicular outlet and leaders. If you're worried you could hit the inside of the gutters with a coat of DTM paint.

Old_school (Old_school)
Username: Old_school

Post Number: 905
Posted on Wednesday, October 17, 2012 - 07:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Pretty much what LV said. If the aluminum is painted, it is copper to paint and not aluminum. It will react, but not as much as if it was touching. good luck!

Lv_pa (Lv_pa)
Advanced Member
Username: Lv_pa

Post Number: 50
Posted on Wednesday, October 17, 2012 - 07:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

FWIW, I have a (painted) aluminum ridge, (painted) copper built-in gutter linings, and (probably unpainted inside) aluminum downspouts, and I'm not losing a lot of sleep about all this. I figure the aluminum is pretty easy to replace if necessary.

There's also a church near me that has copper valleys/ gutters along with aluminum downspouts.

Avb3 (Avb3)
Username: Avb3

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, October 16, 2012 - 11:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a slate hip roof and (fairly new) aluminum gutters and am planning to have metal hip/ridge caps installed on the roof. I'm considering copper for the hip/ridge caps, but one roofing expert warned that the water runoff from the copper could cause pre-mature corrosion of the aluminum gutters and downspouts. Another roofing contractor, however, says he sees no problem with copper hip/ridge caps along with aluminum gutters, as long as the metals themselves are not touching/overlapping. Is this really something to worry about, or is copper OK in this situation? If there is a concern, is there anything that can be done short of replacing the gutters with copper gutters?

Thank you.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration