Is this slate roof worth saving? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Slate Roofs » Is this slate roof worth saving? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jaime
Posted on Monday, April 03, 2006 - 02:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a house built in 1916, with what appears to be the original slate roof. The house itself is nothing fancy, just your run-of-the-mill foursquare.

I had a few estimates on the roof, but they all wanted to rip off the slate and replace with asphalt, and I'm not sure that's necessary. A lot of work needs done on the roof, gutters, soffits, fascia, etc.

We have been working on the inside, but we can't put off the roof any longer - something needs to be done. We live in NY, in the lower Hudson Valley.

I'm going to try to post a link to the pictures:
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f362/olympuscamera/1916%20Slate%20Roof/

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f362/olympuscamera/1916%20Slate%20Roof/P3300361.jpg

Jaime
Posted on Monday, April 03, 2006 - 02:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here is a picture:
frontright

Jaime
Posted on Monday, April 03, 2006 - 02:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sorry about the huge picture!

TonyEriePA
Posted on Monday, April 03, 2006 - 03:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Looks like it's in good nick, in my personal opinion!
It may be old, but all the slates bar 8-10 look good ... those ones with tar and exposed and maybe-exposed nails, and those shoved up (or have split along a cleavage/bedding plane) and the one/two that sag a bit.
The valleys, being tin, are definitely v. rusty and may be leaking, but a good slater can easily replace those. The hip iron is also rusty, with exposed nail heads ... you could replace that with copper ridge roll while at the same time doing copper valley & copper drip (ice apron) edge along the bottom of the roof .. all straightforward and likely to cost a lot less (and last a lot longer) than a shingle job. The rust staining on the slate is not the most pleasing to look at, but it does no harm to the slate ... I haven't found a solution yet that will make those less obvious on my own house.
Others on this site might be able to give approx $ costs per foot of ridge and valley and drip and per slate, but the cost and long-term benefits of a slate+ metal repair would beat a shingle job hands down!

timmyd
Posted on Monday, April 03, 2006 - 05:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

the ice apron/yankee gutter will be the most expensive, this will entail removing the first two/three courses,removing the old tin and fabrication and installation of new 20 oz copper ,joints to be locked and soldered, then re-installation of slate.I am curious to know what the asphalt roofers have proposed for this phase?,tar and membrane i suspect which will fail sooner rather than later and begin the rotting process on your newly installed fascia and soffit.

timmyd
Posted on Monday, April 03, 2006 - 05:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

the slates appear to be in decent shape though quite a few are missing/broken,i would guess they are a good quality pennsylvania or perhaps buckingham,Joe would know better,the cedar shingle dormers appear to be relatively newly installed and if this is the case it is a pity as some of the flashing work could have been easily addressed during that phase.

Jaime
Posted on Monday, April 03, 2006 - 06:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I seriously doubt that the dormers are new - all of the houses on our street with the same roof style have them, though many of them have replaced the shingles with asbestos or vinyl. The shingles are on the upper part of the house and seem to have only one coat of paint on top of the original dark brown stain.

One of the contractors did say he would keep the slate but tear off the bottom 3 ft (I think) and place a rubber liner down and into the gutters.

The front of the house pictured above is the worst. The back of the house has no dormers and only a few missing slates.

The rust and paint are a bit unsightly, but I still prefer it to the ordinary replacement shingles on the neighbors' houses. I think our neighborhood used to be mostly slate-roofed, judging by the shards in driveways.

The porches in front and back of our house have metal roofs that have been coated with various substances over the past 90 years, and they are sadly leaking, too.

I'm hoping that we can come up with a solution that we can afford. #1 priority is fixing the leaks, because I suspect a mold problem.

timmyd
Posted on Monday, April 03, 2006 - 06:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

yes,it is possible to run the rubber liner(EPDM) into the gutter,i have seen this,just not sure how long it will last and how effective the bonding of the materials will be in the long run,the main thing here is to establish the quality of the slate,from there it becomes a feasability issue as well as a budgeting one,what type of slate did the other contractor say it was?

Jaime
Posted on Monday, April 03, 2006 - 11:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

He didn't say what type of slate. I don't think he worked much with it.

mjh
Posted on Thursday, April 06, 2006 - 05:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is this roof worth saving? Yes! If you contact an experienced slater he'll do any repairs that are needed and put the roof back into good order.
Good luck,
mjh.

Jaime
Posted on Tuesday, April 11, 2006 - 02:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, I got a rough estimate from someone who viewed the pictures I e-mailed him. Here is what he figures (without seeing the roof in person yet):

1 sq slate-labor and materials 1500.00
16 pcs of copper ridge and labor 1600.00
re-flash chimney w/16oz copper 700.00
The real expense will be the gutters, if the steel is not full of pin holes from rust then wire brush and paint with a high quality metal paint. 2000.00
To remove slate, pull steel, replace with copper, 180 per lineal foot.

Does this sound right? There's no way I can afford to fix the gutters at that cost. Will I just need to replace with the ugly ones?

timmyd
Posted on Wednesday, April 12, 2006 - 06:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hi jaime,the copper ridge price seems low,we use 20 oz copper for chimneys,what about the valley flashings??,180 per linear ft on gutters is high,unless all carpentry is included,gutters are most definitely leaking,photos show this and rotted wood is the result of their condition,either way a slate and copper repair should be the most economical and beneficial way to proceed.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration