Writing a slate inspection course in ... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Slate Roofs » Writing a slate inspection course in South Africa. Nightmare. Photos of properly-installed slate needed please! « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Old_school (Old_school)
Username: Old_school

Post Number: 901
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2012 - 06:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Joe, I sent him that link the other day.

Joe (Joe)
Username: Joe

Post Number: 729
Posted on Sunday, October 07, 2012 - 11:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You should download the Slate Roofing Contractors Association Installation Standards for Natural Quarried Roofing Slate: http://slateroofers.org/downloads/SRCA_Installation_Guidelines_V2.pdf

Old_school (Old_school)
Username: Old_school

Post Number: 898
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2012 - 05:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wow! Do you have a copy of Joe Jenkin's book the Slate Roof bible? That would have all of the pictures you are looking for in it, plus very good explanations of what you are trying to tell the roofers over there. If I understand you right, you are talking about a system similar to the "Tru_Slate sold by some of the shingle companies here in the U. S. that is basically a single layer of slate hung on clips over a heavy under-layment material. The "under-layment is the roof and the slate is just for decoration.

How many slate roofs are installed over there? Do they leak? How long have they been on? Lots of questions to ask, but this is a great place to start.

Inspectorman60 (Inspectorman60)
Username: Inspectorman60

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2012 - 03:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm in Kwazulu-Natal writing a course for InterNACHI's new South African chapter (www.internachisa.co.za) InterNACHI (www.nachi.org) is a US trade association for (time of sale) home inspectors w/about 8000 members in North America and members in 40 countries.
Iím their Director of International Development and Iím the one who has to adapt US courses to meet the needs of foreign inspectors, so Iím also a course writer.
All slate roofs seen so far are overlapped (no headlap at all) slate with non-UV resistant malthoid (http://abe.co.za/malthoid-3-ply/) interlay flush with slate butts to prevent leakage. I think probably 99% of slate roofs here are built like this. Starter course is single layer over Malthoid. I had never heard of Malthoid.
Day after tomorrow I have to explain to a group of inspectors why they need to tell real estate agents and roofers during transactions that basically all slate roofs in South Africa are defective installations. Agents and roofers are going to go berserk.
What would really help me are photos showing:
ē Installation of the second layer of the starter course underway and reversed chamfer visible.
ē A good photo demonstrating headlap.
ē A photo showing proper sidewall flashing

Resolution: at least 599 pixels the long way.

Please email to kenton@internachi.org

All slate here is installed on battens nailed directly onto trusses or rafters, they do not sheath roofs here, but I donít think it makes much difference as far as the photos go.
There is very little info here on proper installation. No slate associations. No training or education that Iíve been able to find.

Thank you!

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration