Slate Hooks on New installation? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Slate Roofs » Slate Hooks on New installation? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Anonymous
Posted on Monday, March 20, 2006 - 12:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am having a new slate (newly quarried slate not reclaimed slate) roof installed on my home in PA. During the installation, I have noticed that around a half dozen slates have been broken. These slates have been replaced and affixed with a slate hook. I understand that this is an approved method but my question is this: is this a sign of poor workmanship? I mean in the course of a job is it typical for slates to be broken as the contractor works his way to the top. Does he then simply replaces these slates as the final touch of his job. If so then what is an acceptable amount of hooks on brand new installation on 30 square roof, none, 5+, 10+, etc.? Also the contractor is using galvanized hooks? Are these ok? Are copper or stainless better?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Anonymous
Posted on Monday, March 20, 2006 - 01:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You shouldn't have too many broken slate but, yes this does occur during installation. Also depending on the type of roof brackets they are using could be where they were. You DO NOT want galvanize slate hooks. Require them if hooks are needed to use stainless steel or copper slate hooks. You got a 200 year slate roof with about a 25-30year slate hook--NOT.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration