Installing slate on a vertical surface Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Slate Roofs » Installing slate on a vertical surface « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

E Baker
Posted on Monday, March 20, 2006 - 11:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i am an architect interested in installing slate shingles as a vertical serface on an existing building. we have planned for 12x18 shingles with a 2" headlap leaving 8x12 as the exposed shingle size. i have been reading entries and comments on this site because i read the old "slate roofs" booklet that calls for plastic cement. it seems that this is not the preferred method of attaching shingles that will have exposed nails otherwise. in a verticle application, how do you recommend installing the uppermost shingles without exposed nailholes? or must the holes be exposed and some sort of caulk used?

this is about an eight square job. will any other special tools be required other than slater's hammers and a slate cutter?

i would also appreciate any other comments regarding installing slate on a verticle surface and managing relatively inexperienced workers.

Anonymous
Posted on Monday, March 20, 2006 - 01:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I wouldn't install slate if I couldn't have the appropriate headlap to cover the nail heads. Why, would you want to do that?

E Baker
Posted on Monday, March 20, 2006 - 02:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

we have the appropriate headlap called for a vertical serface, however, the uppermost course doesn't allow for covering the nailheads. perhaps we will lap them with metal. i was wondering about other options.

Walter Musson
Posted on Monday, March 20, 2006 - 04:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A wooden trim strip is the traditional method of covering the nail heads in the uppermost course.

slateworks
Posted on Monday, March 20, 2006 - 06:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

E.Baker-You could use slate hooks for the last row,they are available thru this site- or you could use metal or wood trim as Walter mentioned...Exposed nail heads(copper or stainless) are also acceptable on this type of application..What we have done at times is pre-drill your finish row with a 3/16" masonary bit 1/2" to 1" from top edge and in about 1" from each side, then hold these pcs. in place & drill thru the pre -drilled holes thru the last slate you installed - before you nail slate in place place a dap of caulking under the bottom edge and into the drilled holes to help keep the last row from rattling in the wind and to seal & keep nails from backing out..just something to think about,Good luck.

Anonymous
Posted on Tuesday, March 21, 2006 - 12:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Install a top copper flashing piece, would be the perfect ending to this project. Fabricate it with a hem (about 1/2" to 5/8") at the bottom to give it strength and to also provide a nice straight edge--not a cut edge.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration