Last course before ridge Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Slate Roofs » Last course before ridge « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Joe (Joe)
Username: Joe

Post Number: 714
Posted on Tuesday, August 28, 2012 - 08:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This page at Slate Roof Central may be helpful: One Way To Install Slate Hips and Ridges

http://www.slateroofcentral.com/install_hips_ridges.htm

Old_school (Old_school)
Username: Old_school

Post Number: 875
Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2012 - 09:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Exactly! Just cut of the top of the last course and fasten it like you have the rest of them. Often times you will want to install a ridge nailer or board at the peak to fasten the ridges too. Normally the ridges are going to be about 9 inches wide and they will cover the nails. I will install a piece of metal over the ridge board and beneath the ridge slates to close off the top most point where the ridges come together. No need to fill the top with cement or caulk if you do that.

Greg_in_ri (Greg_in_ri)
Username: Greg_in_ri

Post Number: 7
Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2012 - 06:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've studied all of the documents I could get my hands on in preparation for installing my slate roof but haven't found anything specific about the last course before the ridge. I've calculated my face exposure and head lap and come up about 4 inches short of the ridge. The last course of slate therefore, needs to be about 6 inches shorter than the standard 16 inch length. Is it OK to just cut it short and nail right above the top of the last course to keep my exposure the same? Can I nail the slate side ways like I did for the first course? I know the nails need to be under the ridge but I'm not sure how all of this is supposed to finish.
Thank you,
Greg

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration