Pipe flashing Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Slate Roofs » Pipe flashing « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Old_school (Old_school)
Username: Old_school

Post Number: 900
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2012 - 06:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Copper will work with the SS flashing

Greg_in_ri (Greg_in_ri)
Username: Greg_in_ri

Post Number: 9
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2012 - 05:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the tip, Joe.

I think this can work for me. I just won't have the cleats go over the ridge like I've seen on the web video for ridge flashing. My peak flashing is rather large but the idea should still work. My flashing is SS, can I still use copper cleats and rivets?

Thank you,

Greg

Joe (Joe)
Username: Joe

Post Number: 730
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2012 - 12:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Try using copper cleats to fasten the flashing to the roof: http://josephjenkins.com/store/Copper_Cleat.html

Greg_in_ri (Greg_in_ri)

Post Number: 8
Posted on Sunday, October 07, 2012 - 08:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all,

I found a peak flashing that meets my needs and is made for my 8:12 pitch.

My question is how to secure to the roof? It seems I would just rest the flashing on the peak and then nail to the exterior of the shingles but I worry about drilling holes through the shingle. There is a storm collar that goes around the terracotta chimney tile over the opening of the flashing. This is going on my wood fired oven which has a slate roof. Any other thoughts as to how I would secure to the slate? The flashing is 24" long and 18" extends down each side of the roof. I haven't yet applied any shingles.

Thank you,

Greg

Cpaulin (Cpaulin)
Username: Cpaulin

Post Number: 23
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2012 - 12:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That flue needs to be much higher above the roof line to comply with codes and common sense.
Then get a custom flashing made as per Joe & Liam.

Catfeesh (Catfeesh)
Username: Catfeesh

Post Number: 25
Posted on Tuesday, September 04, 2012 - 03:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you don't mind the look of it, you're custom flashing could extend all the way up to, and integrate with the chimney cap.

Joe (Joe)

Post Number: 715
Posted on Tuesday, August 28, 2012 - 08:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Looks like you'll have to custom fabricate a flashing for that scenario as it's unusual. You could possibly fold the flashing over the lower flue tile, then add the next flue tile on top of the flashing fold. Another scenario would be to build a brick chimney around the flue then flash that into the roof.

Slate_man (Slate_man)
Username: Slate_man

Post Number: 758
Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2012 - 02:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I can make what ever you need, let me know. liamtower@slateaffair.com / www.slateaffair.com

Greg_in_ri (Greg_in_ri)

Post Number: 6
Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2012 - 08:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Joe,
This is the best I can do as I haven't yet installed my rafters, pending my approach to roof flashing. My chimney right now is not as far above the rafters as this photo shows and my chimney is cylindrical terracotta. I would flash from the roof to the top of the tile and then add a final flue tile extension to make the finished chimney 24" above the roof. I'm wondering whether a silicone boot might be my easiest solution but I won't be happy with the finished appearance. I'd like to use a Jenkins copper ridge to finish the roof so that needs to be factored into my solution. Thanks.

(Message edited by greg in ri on August 22, 2012)

Joe (Joe)

Post Number: 712
Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2012 - 12:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Can you post a drawing or photo?

Greg_in_ri (Greg_in_ri)

Post Number: 5
Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2012 - 08:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a 10" OD terracotta flue tile coming up through the peak of my roof. I'm building a wood fired oven and that's where the chimney is. I see pre-made flashings for pipes coming through the roof off center and with smaller diameters than the pipe I have. Am I destined to custom make my own from 16 ounce flashing? Has anyone ever made a flashing for a round pipe through the peak of a roof? The peak of my rafters are 2" below the top of the flue tile. I plan to add another piece of flue to the one already there. I expected some kind of flashing arrangement that may require me to fold metal over the top of the flue before cementing the second flue tile. Am I on the right track?
Thanks,
Greg

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration