Basics Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Slate Roofs » Basics « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Olde_mohawk_masonry__historic_restoration (Olde_mohawk_masonry__historic_restoration)
Username: Olde_mohawk_masonry__historic_restoration

Post Number: 171
Posted on Sunday, August 26, 2012 - 01:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Getting there .... not quite done.

Old_school (Old_school)
Username: Old_school

Post Number: 880
Posted on Sunday, August 26, 2012 - 12:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That is quite a set up!

Olde_mohawk_masonry__historic_restoration (Olde_mohawk_masonry__historic_restoration)

Post Number: 170
Posted on Sunday, August 26, 2012 - 12:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Post Number: 167
Posted on Thursday, August 16, 2012 - 10:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

?

Slate_man (Slate_man)
Username: Slate_man

Post Number: 757
Posted on Thursday, August 16, 2012 - 08:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks but I have no time to follow that stuff.

Chris (Chris)
Username: Chris

Post Number: 165
Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2012 - 08:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

nice, h h richardson is one of my favorites!
post some pictures of the church and i would
love a tour once you get scaffolded

Post Number: 166
Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2012 - 08:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Liam,

I was in Vermont last week. Did you feel a disturbance in the force? Haha. I'm pretty easy to track:

Subscribe to my blog: http://preservationinaction.blogspot.com/

Connect on LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/wardhamilton

Slate_man (Slate_man)
Username: Slate_man

Post Number: 756
Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2012 - 07:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ward where you been?

Post Number: 165
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2012 - 04:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Get rid of the plastic gutters. The below image shows a variety of ways that new gutters may be hung below the roof line. Whether you use aluminum, galvanized steel or even copper, it will be less expensive than a new snow rail system.

Gutter installation

Joe (Joe)
Username: Joe

Post Number: 709
Posted on Sunday, August 12, 2012 - 05:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Slate roofs are not routinely removed and renailed unless the owner has more money than gray matter. If some slates are broken, replace them - don't remove and reslate the entire roof.

Old_school (Old_school)
Username: Old_school

Post Number: 865
Posted on Sunday, August 12, 2012 - 10:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

#1. Sure, but you will have to take off at least 2 rows of slate along the bottom at the gutter to be able to do it.

#2. It depends on how ofter you are having to fix them. There is going to be a certain amount of maintenance every year, and 5 or 10 slates is not that many to fix. From 1850, I am sure they are just cut steel nails. Are they all rusted out? That would be the determining factor.

3. More yes than no. It depends on how much snow you are dealing with. I know that they tend to get a lot in Maine, and when / if it turns to ice, it will take everything down eventually. You are fighting a glacier!

Housewright (Housewright)
Username: Housewright

Post Number: 1
Posted on Sunday, August 12, 2012 - 07:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am a restoration contractor in Maine who has seen some professional slate demonstrations at IPTW events but I have no real experience with slate. I have some questions relating to two current jobs.

1) If their is a flat seam galvanized metal roof below the slates and the box gutter is rusted through is it possible to replace the metal without taking all of the slate off?

2) What percentage of loose slates indicate it is time to remove and renail the entire roof? One roof I have seen lately has been repaired and has maybe 30 slate hooks showing and has another ten slates which are now hanging crooked. It seems clear that it is time to renail this roof but I was wondering if their is a rule of thumb for when to redo a slate roof. This roof is probably from the 1850s.

3) Will a snow rail keep a modern plastic gutter from being ripped off the building again? Their is not room to drop the gutter down so the snow will slide off the roof without hitting the gutter so I am looking for a way to protect the gutter. So far we have replaced some gutter with the hangers every foot and will add a leaf guard to the top of the gutter to help the snow slide over the gutter instead of getting a good hold of it.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration