Copper ridge cap. Caulk the nail heads? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Slate Roofs » Copper ridge cap. Caulk the nail heads? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Anonymous
Posted on Tuesday, March 14, 2006 - 09:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it advisable to caulk (with clear caulk) the 3 1/2 copper nail heads that are securing a copper ridge cap or will they be ok as they are?

Anonymous
Posted on Tuesday, March 14, 2006 - 02:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

We solder them, if seen needed. Alot of times it's just nailed. We usually use one nail every 8", evenly spaced on each side of ridge. The clear silacone caulk will start to separate from copper after about 3-5yrs. Use ring shank copper nails, less chance of nails coming loose and backing out, have seen this--alot.

Anonymous
Posted on Tuesday, March 14, 2006 - 08:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I use brass screws with cupped washers if the ridge cap is up high on the building, if it is closer and easly seen we will nail a cleat and lock the ridge cap to it.

Joe Jenkins
Posted on Wednesday, March 15, 2006 - 11:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Uncaulked nail heads will leak. Better to caulk them than to leave them uncaulked.

Joe Jenkins
Posted on Friday, March 17, 2006 - 10:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Can anyone post a drawing of the cleat system for attaching ridge?

Anonymous
Posted on Friday, March 17, 2006 - 12:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yea, I would like to see that to- could you do that for us anonymous #2? Never seen that done before, it would be interesting to see and learn how that is done. We do ours like anonymous #1 usually soldering the nail heads. Sometimes we don't due to steep pitched roof, never saw one leak. I wouldn't use a caulking seen too much of that flake off after 3-5yrs. I like a nail every 4-6"s on ridge though.

timmyd
Posted on Sunday, March 19, 2006 - 08:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i am not anonymous#2, but ihave seen it done and installed in the manner described many times,i am not very computer savvy so i am unable to post a drawing,sorry, i will endeavour to figure it out,anyway another method we have been instructed to perform this install is to first install 5/4" by 4" or 5" pine board,with a notch on the downward side,the cap is then fabricated to fit the board and nailing only at ends which won't be visible,of course for this or the cleated method you are fabricating your own ridge cap, although it is possible to make your own lock on store purchased ridge roll,sorry again ,pictures and drawings would be more helpful, but architects,engineers, etc, do not favour the exposed nail methods

Anonymous
Posted on Monday, March 20, 2006 - 08:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Why don't you fax Joe Jenkins a "rough" drawing and i'll bet he can fiqure out a way to get it posted! I'm with you on not being computer savvy, so I wouldn't be able to do it either.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration