Metal roofing, Terne, Galvalume Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Slate Roofs » Metal roofing, Terne, Galvalume « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jlee (Jlee)
Username: Jlee

Post Number: 8
Posted on Monday, July 30, 2012 - 10:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I can't afford Terne coated stainless steel or copper, I was referring to Terne II (zinc/tin alloy on steel). I have leaks and have to get the best product I can afford right now. Terne II MAY go back into production in 6 mos., but thats a big if. Why is G90 better than Galvalume? I thought the added aluminum offers more corrosion resistance. Is the galvalume failing for a reason, or is it poor installations? I'm not in an ocean climate if that helps.

Branden_wilson (Branden_wilson)
Username: Branden_wilson

Post Number: 124
Posted on Monday, July 23, 2012 - 10:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

patch up and wait for terne. i wouldn't even consider anything else. even g90 is far better than galvalume. here in the bahamas galvalume is failing everywhere, in south florida as well. terne coated stainless is so far superior to everything else it shouldn't be compared. i'd be happy to send you pics. all the best!

REAL SLATER

Old_school (Old_school)
Username: Old_school

Post Number: 850
Posted on Sunday, July 15, 2012 - 07:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Galvalume is a good option, but you want to make sure the details are done correctly. Good luck.

Jlee (Jlee)

Post Number: 7
Posted on Saturday, July 14, 2012 - 04:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm in north carolina, I wasn't planning on doing this myself. I'm not a roofer, but do get my hands into a lot of work related to preservation. I'd love to learn but not sure I want to cut my teeth on this project! Mainly looking for advice on what is appropriate
& learning about my options.

Old_school (Old_school)
Username: Old_school

Post Number: 849
Posted on Saturday, July 14, 2012 - 10:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jlee, where are you located? I assume by 3:1 you are referring to the roof pitch and that equates to about 4/12 pitch. I have done a lot of work with the galvalume and there should be no problems with it at that pitch. Try giving Old world distributors a call @ 269-372-3916 and talk to Ken. Explain what you are trying to do and he will work with you for all of the materials. they are very good at it and can give you all of the parts and pieces. If the roof is cut up with a lot of hips and valleys, it will take you a while to put it together, but at least they are a good resource. Unlike Follansbee or Revere, at least you will be talking to the person that would be making the panels and has done that type of work before.

Jlee (Jlee)

Post Number: 6
Posted on Saturday, July 14, 2012 - 09:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I had my mind made up on a standing seam Terne II roof, until the manufacturer (Follansbee) got sold to Revere Copper. (not sure when or if production will resume) I've been quoted now for a Galvalume roof and would like some opinions on this vs. the Terne II. I wanted color but didn't want to have to paint, and it seems the Galvalume is unpainted, and from this quote isn't any cheaper than the Terne II which I had interpreted as better & longer lasting. (?) I could step down to G90 but I really dislike the bulky ridge caps and commercial look they sometimes have. I'm looking for low profile seams and integral seams on the ridges, staggered if necessary. This is for a large porch (3:1) that was originally flat-lock tin and painted. Very few historic roofers in my area, so really need some advice. Should i try to patch up wait for the terne?

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration