Slate ID please... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Slate Roofs » Slate ID please... « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Anonymous
Posted on Thursday, February 23, 2006 - 08:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Can someone kindly tell me what kind of slate this is and what the condition of it appears to be? I've included 3 pics.

http://set-in-led.0catch.com/images/P2230036.JPG
http://set-in-led.0catch.com/images/P2230034.JPG
http://set-in-led.0catch.com/images/P2230035.JPG

Thank you.

Anonymous
Posted on Friday, February 24, 2006 - 01:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Vermont green or Sea green slate
Condition -very good -looks like a good hard slate

Anonymous
Posted on Friday, February 24, 2006 - 11:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You're right it's Vermont green/sea green and yes, it's looks to be in VERY good shape. Nice slate roof.

Steve T
Posted on Friday, February 24, 2006 - 01:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I would say it is a vermont unfading green slate in good shape but the hips could use some work

Anonymous
Posted on Friday, February 24, 2006 - 01:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the input everyone!

What are the "hips", if I can ask?

Thanks!

Anonymous
Posted on Friday, February 24, 2006 - 02:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The best picture to veiw and understand what hips are is the third picture. You see the long angled portion of roof that is a hip, on the left side of photo. All your photos have shots of hips in them.

Anonymous
Posted on Friday, February 24, 2006 - 04:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks! I found this page a few minutes ago:

http://www.bobvila.com/ArticleLibrary/Location/Roof/RoofingStyle.html

Now that I know what we're talking about, how bad are these and what's needed to remedy?

Thank you!

Anonymous
Posted on Friday, February 24, 2006 - 05:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Not too awefully bad shape but, does need some work. First you need to have the metal or underlayment under the slate hips inspected. I see that there is tar on the hip slates which leads me to think that there was a leaking problem, at some point. If the metal or underlayment is in good shape you need to re-seal hips (i'd suggest using a NP1 caulking). Some nails are missing and should be installed. on another note in your second listed photo I notice a diverter made of copper that has nails showing and it looks like when they installed the copper diverter they broke the slate below it when they installed a nail through it. Also that dosen't (to me) look like the best job, at all. Oh yea if you want to go the expense you can have copper installed on the hips, if neatly and professionally done would look real nice. I prefer the slate hip look. We redo alot of these usually we remove hip slate install copper or TCS in a step flashing form under the hip slate then reinstall hip slate, just like it was originally done and designed. I don't care for the tar or caulk look on the slate UGLY. But, it is a whole lot cheaper. GOOD LUCK oh one more thing get a true slate roof professional who does slate work every day for a living, it will save you alot of grief. You have a beautiful slate roof and with alittle work it will outlast any other type of roofing twice fold.

Anonymous
Posted on Saturday, February 25, 2006 - 03:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the info!!

Anonymous
Posted on Sunday, February 26, 2006 - 01:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here's another photo that I found on my drive of the roof.

Thanks again everyone for the assistance!

roof photo

Walter Musson
Posted on Sunday, February 26, 2006 - 09:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The hips may have some issues,but the closed valleys are probably about to start causing problems for you.
The bulk of the field slates look fine,but the first place to look for potential trouble is where the water runs faster and stronger,i.e. valleys.
I don't know if you're in a snowy climate,but if so the guttering is higher than it should be if snow should cascade off the roof.

Jim K in PA
Posted on Monday, February 27, 2006 - 10:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Beautiful house, beautiful roof. Take care of it.

Jim K in PA

Anonymous
Posted on Monday, February 27, 2006 - 05:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Walter Musson: Thanks for the info. I called a local slate roofer today to have him take a closer look at the roof. We're going to meet on Friday and I'll have him give me a prioritized list of what needs done now and what can wait a bit.

Jim K: Thank you very much. It is a very nice house and we're moving along with the purchase of it. I love the steep pitched roof that this house has - it's by far the steepest of any we've looked at (a slate roof was a must have when we were house shopping - I wouldn't look at a house unless it had slate - drove my realtor nuts). :)

Anonymous
Posted on Monday, February 27, 2006 - 09:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi,Just wondering what area of the country that the house is located?

Anonymous
Posted on Monday, February 27, 2006 - 10:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I don't know if this is possible, but...

I don't have measurements of the roof available (well, not the vertical sections of the roof anyway) but from looking at the photos, could someone estimate what it might cost to _properly_ redo the hip in question?

If possible, what might I expect to pay to have the valley _properly_ redone?

Ball park figures would be fine.

Thank you.

Walter Musson
Posted on Tuesday, February 28, 2006 - 07:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It would be helpful to know the general location for advice on pricing-it varies quite a bit from region to region.

Anonymous
Posted on Tuesday, February 28, 2006 - 09:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The house is located in the Western PA area.

Thanks!

slateworks
Posted on Tuesday, February 28, 2006 - 05:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, If you need a price please give me a call I am in Evans City,Pa.. Thanks, Ron 724-316-7702

Anonymous
Posted on Thursday, March 02, 2006 - 10:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ron-

Just wondering if my email had gone through - I sent it to both addresses that you provided.

Thx.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration