Snow guard installation question Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Slate Roofs » Snow guard installation question « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Drew
Posted on Wednesday, February 22, 2006 - 12:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've had a handful of roofers provide estimates for installing snow guards on my 60 year old Vermont slate roof in Maryland. I don't know the pitch for the roof but it is relatively steep. Based upon the range in estimates ($300 - $1600 for 40 - 50 snow guards) and my discussions with roofers, there seem to be three methods for installing snow guards. The least expensive way is to use a retrofit guard that hooks on to the nail holding an existing piece of slate. The most expensive way seems to be to remove the slate and install (nail) a snow guard underneath new slate. The mid-cost alternative seems to be to install (nail) a guard between two pieces of slate and put a bib over the shank underneath the crevice between two adjoining pieces of slate.

I'm trying to decide if it is worth spending the extra money to remove the slate. (Simply hooking the existing slate nails doesn't seem like a good idea.) Also, if I go with the option to remove the slate, can I use any product -- like the Mullane #100S? The roofers I've spoken with all suggest the Berger 100s.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.

admin
Posted on Wednesday, February 22, 2006 - 01:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The Berger 100s are fine attached to the slating nails as long as you install an adequate quantity.

Both Mullane and Gough also make retrofit snowguards, so you don't have to remove any slates.

http://www.slateroofcentral.com/store_snow_guards.html

slateworks
Posted on Wednesday, February 22, 2006 - 02:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Installing snow guards_ Berger retro snow guards- hooked onto one slating nail -Does this work? I have always removed the slate and put at least 4 nails in each snow guard..several years back when we had some heavy snows I went out to repair a roof where the snow guards where installed by either hooking them on the slate nail or using 8 pennies(mostly 1 nail) and a bib flashing in the tread.When the snow & ice slid towards the bottom of roof it pulled out about 30 of the snow guards,many others were bent and cocked eyed and in the process broke about 35 slate,this roof could of used a few more rows of snow guards ,the rafter was about 22'...I was always concerned with the snow guards swinging from side to side and staying that way (hanging out of line with the treads of the roof slate) when hooked on one nail after a couple of winters...Just a few thoughts,wondering how others install snow guards? Ron

Drew
Posted on Wednesday, February 22, 2006 - 09:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've been told that retro snow guards hooked on a nail (even with an added 8 penny nail) may not withstand a very heavy snow. (Where I live a heavy snow is about 8+"). I've also been told the retro copper snow guards bend in heavy snows. That is why I was planning to either use the bib approach with at least two nails or remove the slate. Thanks.

Drew

Joe Jenkins
Posted on Saturday, February 25, 2006 - 04:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

We have not had any problems with Berger retrofit snowguards. You have to install enough - if you don't, they can pull out. We push them up as far as they can go so they won't swivel and then we often put a dab of silicon under them after we've set them just to anchor them (prevent swiveling). I have seen many bent ones, almost always installed inadequately. Berger now makes a "pro" series that is only about a dollar more per snowguard that is better fortified against bending (and sold on this web site). The problems I have seen with Berger snow guards are caused by using insufficient numbers and usually galvanized ones (cheap ones). We use three or 4 rows, depending on the size of the roof, maybe more, and usually use stainless (they're a good deal), but also use copper ones (http://www.jenkinsslate.com/store_berger_snow_guards.html).

Joe

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration