It's different in the U.K. Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Slate Roofs » It's different in the U.K. « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

mjh
Posted on Sunday, January 29, 2006 - 11:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It's interesting to see the use of roof jacks on roofs in the U.S. Here in England I've never had cause to use them because of our practice of using laths over spars rather than boarding over spars and then fixing the slates straight to the boards.
Best Regards,
Mike.

Anonymous
Posted on Tuesday, January 31, 2006 - 11:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mike, I will have to disagree with you there, There are plenty of old houses in England that have wood boards with the slates fasten directly to the wood boards. And they do use roof jacks but the old slaters in my time used to call them cripples. They were made out of wood and fasten to the boards leaving a slate out. In fact the old stone masons still use this method today while installing the old cotwold stone tiles on roofs.

mjh
Posted on Tuesday, January 31, 2006 - 04:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

In the forty years that i've had in the roofing trade i've rarely had to slate straight to board, although a mate of mine who lives in Scotland does it most of the time. I have stripped roofs where the slate is nailed direct to boards, but these days Architects tend to specify counter laths and laths. I do remember roof cripples though, but I have'nt used them for 3 decades
Best Regards,
Mike

Anonymous
Posted on Wednesday, February 01, 2006 - 02:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mike, It appears from your first message, you are referring to new construction !

robin
Posted on Saturday, February 04, 2006 - 11:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

in belgium we mostly use boards on all smaller nature slates sizes 20x30cm and 18x27 cm.. for bigger sizes it's a rarity... dunno what that is in inches.. somebody can translate this for our US friends?

mjh
Posted on Saturday, February 04, 2006 - 01:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

30x20cm = 12"x8" and 27x18cm = 11"x7". This is not an exact conversion but the nearest equivelant sizes in imperial measure. The old slate names for these sizes would be Wide Doubles and Odds.

robin
Posted on Monday, February 06, 2006 - 02:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

thanks very very much!!!!

always a problem for me on this site dealing with the measures...

Anonymous
Posted on Monday, February 06, 2006 - 03:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey Robin, any sites like this one in countries other than the US? Just thought it might be neat to ckeck out.

robin
Posted on Wednesday, February 08, 2006 - 12:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm working on my site, would loveto post pics, but it doesn't seem to work....

robin
Posted on Wednesday, February 08, 2006 - 12:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

dunno any sites like this with a forum, would love to start one though...

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration