Slate Questions...Please help Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Slate Roofs » Slate Questions...Please help « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

ERIC KIELLAR
Posted on Friday, July 28, 2006 - 11:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

THANXS JOE, I WILL

Joe Jenkins
Posted on Friday, July 28, 2006 - 10:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Eric,

Yes, slate can be installed on 5:12. Use a 4" headlap and don't let the installers walk on the slate during installation.

ERIC KIELLAR
Posted on Friday, July 28, 2006 - 09:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

CAN I INSTALL A SLATE ROOF ON A 5:12 PITCH ROOF?

Anonymous
Posted on Wednesday, December 28, 2005 - 04:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A few questions...

These pictures are from a house that I am buying...

Can anyone tell me what kind of slate this is?

I have been quoted $35 a slate for repair/replacement. Does this sound reasonable?

The roof is very dirty. One side is covered in moss. I have been quoted between $600 and $900 to clean the roof. Does this sound reasonable?

When the roof is cleaned, will it look as "new/bright" as the clean slate looks now?

Any other comments on the condition of the roof?

Picture 1: /image

Picture 2: /image

Thanks

Anonymous
Posted on Wednesday, December 28, 2005 - 04:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

\image

\image

admin
Posted on Wednesday, December 28, 2005 - 07:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You will have to post your images on another site and put a link to the site here.

Greg Griffith
Posted on Wednesday, December 28, 2005 - 07:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does anyone know about a reference to "Washington Banger Slate"? Was this a slate company or a brand sold by a slate company? Or does it refer to a type of slate.

There is a note on the 1911 construction drawings of the railroad depot in Chehalis, Washington State calling for "Washington Banger Slate" for the station's roofing material. The station is now the Lewis County Historical Museum and is currently doing research about restoring/repairing the roof. An answer to this question would help in this research.

Thank you.

admin
Posted on Friday, December 30, 2005 - 01:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bangor slate was quarried in Bangor, PA. The name comes from a slating town of the same name in North Wales. I don't know of any slate that was produced in Washington state.

Joe Jenkins

TonyF EriePA
Posted on Monday, February 06, 2006 - 10:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I need some slate advice. I have 2.5-3.0 squares of roof that used to have slate on 'em but that slate was replaced with fine 15-yr shingles by a previous owner. It had 3/16" 10x20s which would have weighed about 750 lbs/square. I now have a stash of RW 1/4-3/8" 12s that I'm considering replacing the shingle with. But I'm worried about the extra weight ... they'll probably weigh 950-1000 lbs/sq, or ~30% more than the original slate.
The 10:12 or 12:12 roof area in question is boarded with 6"x1" (unsure of the wood type though)with 2"x6" rafters 24"OC and 8' spans and everything's in good shape ....yes, that's probably on the low end of the structural strength scale, but maybe was fine for the original 1927 slates.
What I need to know is: is my planned weight increase too big for this configuration? Now that I think of it, it's really just like permanently "attaching" the weight of 1 adult male to each of the squares ... and the roof hasn't objected yet to my sitting on it for long periods doing other work recently?!?

admin
Posted on Monday, February 06, 2006 - 12:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I doubt it will be a problem.

Joe

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration