Smooth vs. medium texture slate Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Slate Roofs » Smooth vs. medium texture slate « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Cpaulin (Cpaulin)
Username: Cpaulin

Post Number: 8
Posted on Thursday, March 29, 2012 - 12:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The textured will be fine. If it's cheaper and you like the look, go for it.

Catfeesh (Catfeesh)
Username: Catfeesh

Post Number: 14
Posted on Monday, March 19, 2012 - 09:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

North Country told me that the durability and breakability of the textured slate is comparable to the smooth...but what you're saying about the splitting quality makes a lot of sense.
Thanks again for the advice Old school.

Old_school (Old_school)
Username: Old_school

Post Number: 798
Posted on Monday, March 19, 2012 - 12:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Richard, use the textured. For what you are talking about, it will not be that hard and you only have 7 squares to apply anyway. From start to finish, the extra time will only be in hours and not days.

The "reason" that the textured is 20% cheaper FYI is that they normally use the slates that will crack in half when they try and split them down the last time and just leave them as "Heavies" Not quite the quality of stone, but since there is about twice s much of it, it should last just fine. The thinner a slate can be split in other words, the better the quality of the stone.

Catfeesh (Catfeesh)
Username: Catfeesh

Post Number: 13
Posted on Monday, March 19, 2012 - 10:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi guys,
I'm a beginner trying to decide between a smooth 1/4" and a medium textured 3/16"-3/8" unfading black slate from North Country. It's for a 7 square 12/12 gable roof on a cottage I'll be building this summer.

The medium texture is 20% cheaper, and I think it would look better. Apparently it can have thickness variations top to bottom, and even cupping. Now I know I'll have to spend time sorting and cutting heavier slates, but due to it's characteristics, I'm worried about the added time to install vs. the smooth.

The Ontario summer is short, and I've got a lot to do. As a beginner, should I just keep things easy and stick to the smooth?

Thanks for your opinions,
-Richard

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration