Breaking slates when punching Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Slate Roofs » Breaking slates when punching « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Sniffingratty (Sniffingratty)
Username: Sniffingratty

Post Number: 25
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2012 - 02:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have not had good luck punching them against my had, or with the punch on the cutter, but punching them against a slate stake (actually a piece of angle iron) worked well. The only trouble is doing that on the roof. Are there any recommended tools for that?

Branden_wilson (Branden_wilson)
Username: Branden_wilson

Post Number: 117
Posted on Friday, April 20, 2012 - 12:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i agree, i hate using electricity on a slate roof. but i'll admit, i've drilled a few slates too. i've even scored them from the back with a grinder or wet saw then cut them when they're too thick. i hate to do it but i've had to. well to be honest i didn't have to but it worked.

REAL SLATER

Cpaulin (Cpaulin)
Username: Cpaulin

Post Number: 11
Posted on Thursday, March 29, 2012 - 11:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Liam.

Slate_man (Slate_man)
Username: Slate_man

Post Number: 712
Posted on Thursday, March 29, 2012 - 10:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here's a video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xocFLCLO10

Cpaulin (Cpaulin)

Post Number: 4
Posted on Tuesday, March 27, 2012 - 06:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I don't have a video camera but my brother does, maybe I can get him to video us punching heavies.

Joe has done a video here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTLDjbt5EcI) using vintage slate.

It's exactly the same concept with new slate: put your palm against the front of the slate and positioned to support the slate where you want the hole punched, punch the slate crisply from the back side of the slate, don't twist or turn the hammer, keep the point perpendicular to the slate when it strikes the slate, and try to get the hole in one swing.

Old_school (Old_school)
Username: Old_school

Post Number: 800
Posted on Monday, March 26, 2012 - 05:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Chris, you told him, give him a hand!

Post Number: 24
Posted on Monday, March 26, 2012 - 04:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

are there any video's or articles on how to correctly punch?

Cpaulin (Cpaulin)

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, March 23, 2012 - 11:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You should not need to drill 3/8" thick vermont slates. They punch easily with a hammer. We routinely punch 1" thick slate with a slaters hammer in the field. You must be doing something incorrectly.

Scottishslater (Scottishslater)
Username: Scottishslater

Post Number: 20
Posted on Friday, March 23, 2012 - 08:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

you just put the slate in push the handle down hey presto two holes at once no broken slate ever

Post Number: 19
Posted on Friday, March 23, 2012 - 08:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

there u go one on ebay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Double-Slate-Punching-Machine-/180826748611?pt=LH_Defa ultDomain_3&hash=item2a1a1d36c3#ht_515wt_1187

Post Number: 18
Posted on Friday, March 23, 2012 - 08:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

buy a slate punch m8

Post Number: 23
Posted on Thursday, March 22, 2012 - 10:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

the problem is not breaking the hammer it's breaking the slates! I totally wish I could punch them, this drilling is taking forever.

Slate_man (Slate_man)

Post Number: 711
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2012 - 07:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I don't know about these other guy, but there is a lot of satisfaction in using your hammer rather a drill. I use my hammer even on 3/4 to 1 inch slate, I may brake one hammer over the whole job, but it worth it!!

Post Number: 22
Posted on Tuesday, March 20, 2012 - 09:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

do you know where to get the proper drill bit to provide a countersink? I don't see any at jenkins' roofing supply site. Thanks again for all the help.

Post Number: 17
Posted on Monday, March 19, 2012 - 01:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

we would use an actual slate borer its designed to give you the perfect countersunk hole and you dont get any breakage while holing picture of one here http://www.cmstools.co.uk/page3.html theres two types a single borer or a double

Old_school (Old_school)

Post Number: 799
Posted on Monday, March 19, 2012 - 12:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

They have those bits for sure. You would have to buy it special though. A thicker slate is not going to be as affected by the nails as there is a lot more to "rub" against. Just make sure you drive the nails flush to the slate. Don't overdrive them mind you, but be aware that they have to just touch the slate when you are finished driving.

Post Number: 21
Posted on Monday, March 19, 2012 - 09:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have been holding them with my hand when I try to punch them. I will try punching it with it sitting on two boards with a gap where I'm punching.

Joe says in this thread (http://jenkinsslate.com/messages/messages/84/85.html?1173806191) "Punched or counter-sunk nail holes that allow the nail head to rest in a depression in the slate are a necessary part of the design of a standard thickness (3/16" to 1/4") slate roof. Otherwise, the nail head will rub against the overlying slate and, *in time* wear a hole through it." So I'm a bit worried about not counter sinking, but that may be the only option. I wish there was a bit the had a counter sink built in.

Old_school (Old_school)

Post Number: 797
Posted on Sunday, March 18, 2012 - 10:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

3/8 is probably thick enough to not worry too much about the countersink. A drill press will work and so will a hand drill with a carbide tip.

Slate_man (Slate_man)

Post Number: 710
Posted on Sunday, March 18, 2012 - 09:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are you using any thing to support the slate as you punch? Like a slaters stake! You can also use your hand. You shouldn't hold it in the air and guess hit it. Depending on how old the slate is this will have an effect on how well it punches. Slate can sit in a slate yard for along time, seeing you are using 12in tall from what you posted these may have sat for a little bit.

Post Number: 20
Posted on Sunday, March 18, 2012 - 08:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks guys. Can I use a drill press? Do I have to drill each slate 2x to make a counter sink for the nail head?

Why can't I punch this slate?

Old_school (Old_school)

Post Number: 796
Posted on Sunday, March 18, 2012 - 08:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I thought I posted on this yesterday. Like the Scot says. drill them.

Post Number: 16
Posted on Sunday, March 18, 2012 - 02:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

get a boring machine

Post Number: 19
Posted on Saturday, March 17, 2012 - 06:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am trying to install some 12" vermont slates, about 3/8" thick. When I go to punch them they break. I tried punching an old slate that i had laying around and it was very easy. But these new slates are super hard, the punch doesn't go all the way through with a good hit, and if I hit harder then it breaks the slate. Advice?
Thanks
-Seth

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration