Slate Roof Research Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Slate Roofs » Slate Roof Research « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Old_school (Old_school)
Username: Old_school

Post Number: 766
Posted on Tuesday, January 17, 2012 - 10:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

30 foot rafters with no support in the middle? That is some long framing lumber. If there are intermediate walls that are load bearing, that is not much at all. 8/12 bears about 40 % of the weight to the plate. Is the roof sagging?

HAS it caused extensive structural damage? FYI, transite is not light either. At 8'12, the snow is always just about ready to slide. when it slides, you have no more weight problem. What is the condition of the existing roof?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Oldhousenut (Oldhousenut)
Username: Oldhousenut

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, January 17, 2012 - 05:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Greetings all. I was wondering if you could lend me some of your expertise. I've recently purchased a 1917 home with a Vermont mottled slate roof. I've been conducting research on the house and I was told by one slater that had done repair work on it over the years that it is not the original roof. I have an old watercolor picture that shows the roof being bright green, not the grayish color it is now. Further, I've had people tell me that the framing doesn't seem beefy enough for slate- it is 2x8, 16oc, 30' run, with an 8/12 pitch. I'm in New England and the weight of the slate and snow seems like it would be too heavy for this framing and has caused extensive structural damage. I'm thinking it may have had a transite roof with bright green tiles. I've found some transite roof shingles in the basement but they are gray not green. Not sure why they would be there. Any thoughts?

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration