Venting without any eaves on slate roof Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Slate Roofs » Venting without any eaves on slate roof « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Old_school (Old_school)
Username: Old_school

Post Number: 772
Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2012 - 05:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have used something similar beneath wood shingles before. You still have to vent at the ridge and it holds up the shingles a 1/2 inch. I am sure it would do the same to the slates.

Scottishslater (Scottishslater)
Username: Scottishslater

Post Number: 3
Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2012 - 08:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

you can use a breathable felt under the slate.You wont need vents with that type felt as the full roof is like one big vent.

Lv_pa (Lv_pa)
Intermediate Member
Username: Lv_pa

Post Number: 38
Posted on Tuesday, January 17, 2012 - 10:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I was thinking maybe the gable vents were going to open into the living space, so he would just use them to exhaust hot air in the summer. But yes, if they're ventilating the cold space, then they should be open year round.

Old_school (Old_school)
Username: Old_school

Post Number: 764
Posted on Monday, January 16, 2012 - 08:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Why would you want to close a vent in the winter? That is just as important as the summer.

Lv_pa (Lv_pa)
Intermediate Member
Username: Lv_pa

Post Number: 37
Posted on Monday, January 16, 2012 - 03:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Heats77,

I've gotten conflicting opinions on whether slate roofs need to be ventilated. Some say that the slate just breathes naturally since there is some air between the slates, others say to ventilate as you would with asphalt.

FWIW, I have pretty much the same project as you do, and I am putting in soffit and ridge vents with 2" air baffles under the slate. I'm not building any knee walls, at least not yet. As for whether to insulate the knee wall, or along the rafters all the way down to the floor, that's really your choice. For my job, I'm trying to maximize the amount of warm space, so I'm doing it the second way.

What do you mean by not having any eaves? You mean there's no overhang of the roof over the outside walls? As you say, that would mean there's no soffit where you could put vents, so there's no point in trying to put in ventilation along the rafters. Presumably you would have to fix this by doing some extra framing and roofing work, if you want to do the ventilation properly. Or maybe there's some way to put vents at the top of the outside wall.

About the gable vents, do you have some way of closing them up in the winter? Or do they only vent the cold space above the second floor?

Heats77 (Heats77)
Username: Heats77

Post Number: 2
Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2012 - 10:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Question is will I have problems with roof rotting or ice dams if I don't ventilate properly. I have a slate roof hence why the question is under slate roofs. This slate roof is on wood planking and the pitch is 12/12. I am not sure if I should run rafter vents and place r19 kraft face on them, rigid foam board, or even spray foam it without any rafter vents. Wood planking with stone on top of it doesnt appear in my mind that it is as tightly sealed as an asphalt shingle roof with osb. So there is probably some type of ventilation there alone with all of the air and gaps in stone and wood planking, but I am not an expert so I need expert advice.

Timtrain35 (Timtrain35)
Username: Timtrain35

Post Number: 13
Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2012 - 07:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So....what's your question about slate roofing?

Heats77 (Heats77)
Username: Heats77

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, January 11, 2012 - 10:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am currently finishing second floor of a 1930 Tudor style home. I have owned it for a year and the crazy thing is that the second floor has never been finished. It is all brick. There is an attic space for much of the area....so I have started to build walls but the roof starts on the floor of the second floor in some areas in which I built some knee walls. Problem is that there are no eaves on this house. I need to insulate from the knee wall to the ceiling for about 6 feet. I was thinking of using r19 kraft face for 2x6 on 16in centers. Should I put rafter vents in here regardless of not having any eaves for air flow? We are looking at a 6ft by 6ft 45degree triangle that will be unused. Not sure if I should run kraft face fiberglass from the celing all the way to the corner of the roof in the roof rafters or just stop at the knee wall and then insulate inside of knee wall. The floor of the whole second floor is already insulated from exterior to exterior. I do have gable vents on each side of the house and I plan on putting a gable vent fan to pull hot air out of the attic.

Any suggestions?

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration