Chimney pipe sealant Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Slate Roofs » Chimney pipe sealant « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Catfeesh (Catfeesh)
Username: Catfeesh

Post Number: 4
Posted on Sunday, December 18, 2011 - 05:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Custom copper work is beyond me, but I did find a cap that might work here-> http://www.famcomfg.com/chimney-caps-1.html
Here's an updated model with a one piece sleeve, who knows it might help someone else.
-Thanks slate man-
chimney cap

(Message edited by catfeesh on December 18, 2011)

Slate_man (Slate_man)
Username: Slate_man

Post Number: 690
Posted on Friday, December 16, 2011 - 01:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes they are custom. The differents from your picture is the sleeve and base flashing is one peice on mine. The cap sits tigth to the top of the sleeve.

Catfeesh (Catfeesh)

Post Number: 3
Posted on Friday, December 16, 2011 - 11:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the pic, lots of chimneys!

Are those caps custom made? Do they fasten to the sleeve, or the chimney pipe?

It's hard to tell if the commercial chimney caps I'm finding online will keep water out of the sleeve. I modeled an exaggerated chimney, based on what you suggested (picture attachedchimney cap

Slate_man (Slate_man)
Username: Slate_man

Post Number: 689
Posted on Thursday, December 15, 2011 - 04:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You can make a sleeve and flashing for the pipe. This would run all the way to the top of the pipe. See picture.

Catfeesh (Catfeesh)

Post Number: 2
Posted on Wednesday, December 14, 2011 - 07:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

chimney diagram

Catfeesh (Catfeesh)

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, December 14, 2011 - 07:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is there a way of running insulated steel chimney pipe out through a slate roof without using sealant?

The chimneys I've found require sealant in the joint between the storm collar and the chimney, which keeps water from running down the chimney into the roof assembly.

Could the storm collar/chimney connection be safely soldered if both were stainless steel?

I'd like to avoid sealants if possible, and would appreciate any recommendations.

-Thanks for your help-

(Message edited by catfeesh on December 14, 2011)

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration