Trying to find a leak in an 80 year o... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Slate Roofs » Trying to find a leak in an 80 year old slate roof « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Joe (Joe)
Username: Joe

Post Number: 655
Posted on Thursday, December 08, 2011 - 01:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You may want to try using one of our Freund restoration hammers when doing repairs. Then you don't need to carry two hammers. http://josephjenkins.com/store/slate-hammers/

Also, a good cutter such as the Stortz 95FB eliminates the need for a hammer and stake: http://josephjenkins.com/store/slate-cutter-stortz-95-fb.html

Regarding putting arrows and words on photos, get Photoshop. You don't need the full version ($700), just get Photoshop Elements 10 for a hundred bucks (http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop-elements.html).

Old_school (Old_school)
Username: Old_school

Post Number: 745
Posted on Wednesday, December 07, 2011 - 09:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here are a few more pictures from above the chimney. We isolated about 5 more leaks today and we know we have to rebuild the chimney plus redo the flashing work. Very poor repairs last time it was done.

https://picasaweb.google.com/crookston.john4/JacksonSlateRepair?authkey=Gv1sRgCL aH15jxtKy8DQ#

Old_school (Old_school)

Post Number: 743
Posted on Tuesday, December 06, 2011 - 09:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey Joe, how do you put the arrows and words on the pictures like that?

Old_school (Old_school)

Post Number: 742
Posted on Tuesday, December 06, 2011 - 09:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have to redo that whole side in the spring. they have a small leak that is showing up to the left of the area we can see and farther down. The areas where the roof has been "repaired" is where they are having the problems. Access is tough and I don't want to tear too much apart until the spring. It will snow any day now and that could really be a bitch to close in if it got away from me. We go there tomorrow to try again and I will take some more pictures.

Joe (Joe)
Username: Joe

Post Number: 654
Posted on Tuesday, December 06, 2011 - 01:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Looks like you need to replace some metal areas. Have you seen our latest flat-lock copper video: http://www.slateroofcentral.com/videos.html#flat_lock2.

Also, there are lots of things wrong with the slate repairs on that roof, as you already know.

Old_school (Old_school)

Post Number: 741
Posted on Monday, December 05, 2011 - 08:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I took these pictures and sent them to the homeowner telling her what we were seeing. The copper roof had been taken apart before, at least on the vertical walls. The seams looked good until we watered them and they leaked. I am just trying to stop the leaks for the winter now and when they pulled completely apart, I just caulked them. I am trying to isolate the areas where the water enters the envelope of the roof. It is a pain because everything funnels down to the one spot. I am going back with my son later this week and will take some more pics.

https://picasaweb.google.com/crookston.john4/JacksonSlateRepair?authkey=Gv1sRgCL aH15jxtKy8DQ#5678577935149676210

Slate_man (Slate_man)
Username: Slate_man

Post Number: 688
Posted on Monday, December 05, 2011 - 07:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Post some pic of the area in question.

Old_school (Old_school)

Post Number: 740
Posted on Sunday, December 04, 2011 - 09:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A beautiful 1928 house about 60 miles from Kalamazoo. Graduated random multi color, still perfect...except where someone tried to fix the copper areas. They also fixed the chimney and it is leaking from somewhere up above. I have traced 4 leaks and stopped them, but then it will rain and it will leak in the same area. The biggest problem is that it is 1 hour in each direction and it is getting late in the season. I know I will keep with it, but what a pain. We have a lot to fix in the spring there, but I am trying to get the leaks on hold for the winter. Why do I put myself through this?

Anybody have any other ideas except for the hose on the roof and someone in the attic to spot? There is certainly nothing obvious, and the roof is about 20/12 so nothing is staying on it.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration