Expected added value? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Slate Roofs » Expected added value? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Anonymous
Posted on Friday, October 21, 2005 - 04:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I currently have an 80 y/o slate roof that seems to be coming to end of life. I'm curious to know what the return on investment would be for replacing the entire roof versuses shelling out money to fix the increasing number of problem areas. If it helps, for my specific case I guess about 20 sq @ rough estimate of $1500/sq installed will cost me $30K. My guess is the house is valued around $190k. Would I see much increase in house value if anything?

Walter Musson
Posted on Friday, October 21, 2005 - 08:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That might be a question to ask a Realtor in your area.The answer probably depends on several factors which being local they should know.

Anonymous
Posted on Saturday, October 22, 2005 - 07:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If your roof is near it's useful life, why would you want to throw good money after bad and have it repaired ? The answer could only be to fool your prospective buyers into believing that the roof is now perfectly fine now that you've repaired any problem area's when infact you just took the cheap way out.

Either sell your house with the roof the way it is, and give the new buyers a credit so they can make a decision to repair or replace OR have a new slate roof installed at your expence now.`

BTW I asked my realitor if a new slate roof would add value to my home, and she said it would be easier for me to get my asking price ' fair market value' with a new slate roof, BUT I wouldn't get anymore over market value because of a slate roof. In other words, NO you probably won't get anymore for your home with a new slate roof, BUT it will be easier to sell.

Anonymous
Posted on Saturday, October 22, 2005 - 07:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

opps........I see that I misspelled expense. Sorry gentleman, I was drinking my coffee while typing. Nevertheless, my advice is sound and sage.

Good day gentleman.

Anonymous
Posted on Sunday, October 23, 2005 - 11:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I ask because I'm assuming the roof is near the end of life. I certainly don't know for sure as I'm not a roofer, let alone I know nothing about slate. I'm just going on estimates that I have seen to say my roof is 80 years old and near the end. The assumption is that the expected life is anywhere from 60-120 depending on the type of slate I have on there (I have no idea). So if in 2 months when a roofer finally gets here and says, we can fix the problems for $15k and your roof will last another 35-40 years, I would tend to take that advice as I don't plan on being here that long. However, if by replacing it I will have a solid ROI, I would consider doing that. So to answer your question, that's I why I'm curious. Not because I'm cheap. Thanks for insinuating that though.

Anonymous
Posted on Sunday, October 23, 2005 - 07:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

With words like * return on investment * and * shelling out money to fix the increasing number of problem areas * you sound CHEAP ! If your considering spending $15K to to have your roof last another 35-40 years, your not only cheap, your stupid !

If I were you, I would invite atleast 3 different slate contractors to look at your roof. Do your homework 1st, and buy the Bible and read it.

Good luck with your roof.

admin
Posted on Monday, October 24, 2005 - 12:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You can post photos of your roof on your web site and give us the url and we will look at them and give you an opinion on the type and longevity of the roof. It has been done several times on this message board already.

Joe Jenkins

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration