Another Ventilation Question Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Slate Roofs » Another Ventilation Question « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Old_school (Old_school)
Username: Old_school

Post Number: 736
Posted on Friday, November 04, 2011 - 08:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Those are rust stains on the slate, and while they are not hurting anything, don't expect them to fade either. Painting the roof will help to stop the rusting and may further the life of the flat seamed roof. Soffit vents won't hurt anything and they will make the attic cooler in the summer, especially if you leave the window of the dormer open to let the heat out. I am sure there is no insulation in anything so the house is probably drafty and it is by definition "venting itself" 134 year old slate roof. not too bad!
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Rdsherman (Rdsherman)
Username: Rdsherman

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, November 04, 2011 - 08:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just bought house with slate roof built in 1874. The eaves and gutters are destroyed. The attic is unfinished and I have no plans to ever finish it. I seem to remember reading somewhere on here that although slate is water-tight, it is not air-tight, and doesn't require the same ventilation as other roofs do. Does this mean I do not need ventilated soffits?

Also, regarding these stains, will painting the steel stop the staining and will the stains fade? Thanks for providing such great information.Stains

Rotted Eaves

More Rotted Eaves

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration