Copper Valleys or New Roof? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Slate Roofs » Copper Valleys or New Roof? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

John Yesco
Posted on Friday, October 14, 2005 - 12:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Penna. gray slate, 60 years old, is holding up better than the copper valleys. Should I replace with new copper valleys or replace slate with new asphalt roof? Estimate for fixing two valleys is about $3K.
Thanx

Anonymous
Posted on Friday, October 14, 2005 - 11:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It depends on the TRUE condition of the slate. I have seen some PA black/grey slate last 100-125 years but, that seems to be the exception to the rule for that type of slate. How does the slate appear? Is it flaking, crumbling and/or breaking into peices if so yes I would replace it. I just don't think I would replace it with an asphalt roof. But, everyone has their own likes and dislikes. Oh yea it seems like a really fair cost to replace the valley's. Normal life for a PA black/grey slate roof is 70-80 years from what I have seen.

admin
Posted on Friday, October 14, 2005 - 11:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If the slate is holding up better than the copper valleys, it may be a better grade of PA black. If the roof is black slate, the age isn't as important as the condition of the slate (some black slate has phenomenal longevity). We recently did a complete restoration (new valleys, ridge, etc.), on a PA black slate roof 122 years old. You can see it at http://www.slateroofcentral.com/install_snow_aprons.htm. Notice the smooth surface of the slate. That's a good indication that the slate is still sound.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration