Built in gutter repair/replace progress Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Slate Roofs » Built in gutter repair/replace progress « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Old_school (Old_school)
Username: Old_school

Post Number: 739
Posted on Thursday, December 01, 2011 - 07:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Welcome "Frost" Where are you from?

Frost (Frost)
Username: Frost

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, November 14, 2011 - 08:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hi this is my first post...your job looks really nice...as far as the slate, it's hard to tell from pictures..

but i try to stay away from ice and water shield alltogether...and the few times i had to, to be paid i used rosin paper over it...worked ok, but still kinda aggravated me...altering head laps in a roof is tricky, cause if you go from a 6" to a 3" headlap you should do it slowly over successive courses..like 3/4" to 1" per course..you'll know because the slate will be tight to the roof on all four corners. play with it, it will feel right..

Old_school (Old_school)

Post Number: 720
Posted on Monday, October 10, 2011 - 07:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Looks like semi weathering gray/green to me

1873 (1873)
Username: 1873

Post Number: 17
Posted on Monday, October 10, 2011 - 08:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

this area is pretty well complete. what type of slate is this? (sorta looks like vermont) I got a truck load off a guy who took it off a barn he torn down. this side of house cant be seen really from the ground so it doesn't matter if it doesn't match the black PA slate on rest of house for now.

I'll likely have to wait till next year to work my way around the house since cold weather is coming sooner than later

1873 (1873)

Post Number: 16
Posted on Thursday, October 06, 2011 - 08:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

you can see how looks like pans were extended up... when i tore off some of the older (not sure if original) were under not removed. They didn't extend up as far.

Some of the lower slates were held with drywall screws.. and i found alot nailed with felt paper nails!

1873 (1873)

Post Number: 15
Posted on Thursday, October 06, 2011 - 08:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Can i put grace I&W membrane over to top lip of the pans where its under slate leaving putting a piece of felt under the top so that its not stuck to the deck then layer felt over? so it would be stuck to top of pans but not attached to deck (other than the nails that go through it for the slate.

turns out one of the previous owners before it was run down by people who lost house live close by. The pans were re done most likely in the early 90s with galvinized with sealant in the joints with no expansion joints. At this time they re did the lower slate..... when tearing off the galvanized looks like that the first row of slate was removed extending the pans up. i was going to bring the first course down and have a increased headlap by adding the other course

(Message edited by 1873 on October 06, 2011)

Old_school (Old_school)

Post Number: 717
Posted on Tuesday, October 04, 2011 - 06:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

At that small a pitch, it shouldn't make much difference

1873 (1873)

Post Number: 14
Posted on Monday, October 03, 2011 - 08:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

it would prob be easier if i keep all my questions in one generic thread.

so this is where im at...

my drip edge isnt the prettiest but it'll work.

my question now has to do with bending the pans to match the slope.

do you bend the pan so say 3.5 deep on one end and 3.25" on the other i see the only outcome would be that what goes under the slate would be at an angle.??

also where my drain is it drops a bit, im thinking ill need to make 2/3 pans to get the grade without kinking the copper.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration