Can someone ID this slate for me? (ph... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Slate Roofs » Can someone ID this slate for me? (photo link included.) « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Mike R.
Posted on Saturday, October 01, 2005 - 08:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This is the slate on the roof of my new home.

I read the Slate Roof Bible and believe it to be Vermont weathering green slate. Am I correct?

Also, it appears to be in generally good condition save for a few face nailed slates (which are being replaced as soon as I close). The loose slate in the photos, which was one that was replaced this summer, has a nice ring to it when tapped. It does not sound dull or dead when tapped. It feels hard to the touch and does not flake at all when handled.

Can anyone add anything to better help me understand what I have here?

Thanks!!

http://home.comcast.net/~michaeljohnr/roof.htm

Walter Musson
Posted on Sunday, October 02, 2005 - 10:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Looks like you have different slates on different roof planes.
One side is most likely sea green,but other faces look like a grey-black slate with some purple,unless the colors aren't coming thru cleanly in those pics.

slateworks
Posted on Sunday, October 02, 2005 - 02:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, You have a very nice Vermont Sea green slate roof(semi-weathering green)). Walter some of the pictures just were taken in the shade or not quite enough light,I think?,but I would say the whole roof looks to be the same type of slate.
Ron

Mike R.
Posted on Sunday, October 02, 2005 - 02:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the replies.

The photos were not taken in direct sunlight.

The bottom photo and the middle row, left most photo show pretty accurately the colors. The camera tends to add a little blue to a lot of outside photos, but those two are really close to what it appears to look like.

So from the photos, the slate appears to be in good shape? I am brand new to slate roofs.

slateworks
Posted on Monday, October 03, 2005 - 04:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Very good, Just find a local Slater to maintain it for you as needed.
Take care, Ron

Mike R.
Posted on Monday, October 03, 2005 - 07:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Excellent news.

Thank you all for your time!

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration