Galvanic corrosion of dissimilar meta... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Slate Roofs » Galvanic corrosion of dissimilar metals and snow apron options « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Sniffingratty (Sniffingratty)
Username: Sniffingratty

Post Number: 9
Posted on Tuesday, September 06, 2011 - 10:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

yes I would like to do copper but I just can't swing the extra 2500$

Old_school (Old_school)
Username: Old_school

Post Number: 703
Posted on Saturday, September 03, 2011 - 06:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Rust is good~!!??

Joe (Joe)
Username: Joe

Post Number: 631
Posted on Saturday, September 03, 2011 - 12:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Galvanized metal should be painted. New galvanized won't take paint unless it's first primed with a galvanized metal primer. Then, the galvanized should be painted every five years. In the long run, it's not less expensive than copper when you consider the maintenance. Unless you like the look of rust on your roof.

Old_school (Old_school)

Post Number: 701
Posted on Thursday, September 01, 2011 - 06:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A long time if ever. I have seen them install steel stiffeners on the inside lip of a built in gutter and bolt right through it into the copper and it doesn't bother it. With just the water from the copper running on it it shouldn't be a problem.

Post Number: 8
Posted on Thursday, September 01, 2011 - 09:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Old school. So the galvanized will react less... but it will still react? How long will it take for it to corrode?

Old_school (Old_school)

Post Number: 696
Posted on Monday, August 29, 2011 - 05:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Seth, the aluminum coils you are speaking of would be VERY light aluminum builders roll. Not a good option. I don't know the gauge or thickness of the galvanized pans, but they will react less with the copper than would the aluminum. The copper would eat through that aluminum coil in a matter of months.

There would be nothing wrong with using the galvanize pans for the snow apron and also galvanized for the valleys and the flashings. It is cheaper than the copper, but it would have to be painted too. Pick your poison! You could use aluminum for the valleys and the flashings too, but it would want to be at least .032 or preferably .040, and that is going to get expensive too. good luck!

Post Number: 7
Posted on Sunday, August 28, 2011 - 09:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Everyone,
I am trying to figure out a cheaper way to install a snow apron on my slate roof. I have found galvanized and aluminum snow aprons, galvanized ice belts come in 30x34" squares for 13$ ea; and aluminum is 47$ for a 50'x24" roll. However I am worried about mixing metals because I already have the copper nails for the slates, and was going to use copper for the valleys and flashing (although I am not insistent on that because it is so expensive.)

So what are your general thoughts on these other options. Also do yall know of a chart or site that can help me easily determine what kinds of metals can be used together?

Thanks
-Seth

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration