What is a counter batten's purpose? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Slate Roofs » What is a counter batten's purpose? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Suji
Posted on Monday, September 26, 2005 - 02:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I was just reading a little blurb for a UK company which stated that in Scotland roofs were covered with sarking board over which underslating felt is laid with a COUNTER BATTEN beneath the roofing battens.

I am going to replace a batten only system with a solid roof sheath , felt covered, with slate for my location (PA) and wondered why there was an extra step involved in the above description. Some question about roof breathability over solid decking? Or needless concern?

Joe Jenkins
Posted on Wednesday, September 28, 2005 - 09:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The roofs I saw in Scotland had the slate nailed directly to the sarking (boards) without battens. Batten roofing is an English/Welsh tradition rather than a Scottish one. The purpose of the sarking (roof decking boards) is to provide a nailing base for the slate as an alternative to battens.

Joe Jenkins

Anonymous
Posted on Wednesday, September 28, 2005 - 02:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

with reference to your question what is a counter battens purpose its purpose is to lift the battens off the felt so the roof instalation can breath from ridge to eave and to stop a water trap forming behind battens it also has many other benifits like higher upstands at valleys side slips e. t . c holds the felt down wile roof instalation is taking place, yes scottish slating practice is slating direct on to a sarked roof but this is changing and we are starting to see more slating on to battens in the last ten years

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration