Extra Thick Slate a Problem for stand... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Slate Roofs » Extra Thick Slate a Problem for standard Thickness? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Old_school (Old_school)
Username: Old_school

Post Number: 688
Posted on Thursday, August 18, 2011 - 07:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Way too much fun for a person to have.

Tinner666 (Tinner666)
Username: Tinner666

Post Number: 74
Posted on Thursday, August 18, 2011 - 06:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Without tearing up the roof which I wouldn't want to do, I'd just leave it. If you trip over a really curved one later and your ladder or scaffold is there, and you want to do it, you could yank the one and put the curved one in. Your choice. They can last 100+ years just like that.
Now that you know about this, you can try to nest the rest of the roof better. I always set 'funny' ones aside and whenever I hit a sticky place, I do some experimenting before nailing any down.

Really nice looking roof, BTW!

Slate Roof Repairs, Richmond, Va.

Lmroc (Lmroc)
Username: Lmroc

Post Number: 21
Posted on Thursday, August 18, 2011 - 03:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes Tinner, I was commenting to my wife that some seam to fit together real nice and others seam to "bend away"...now I here from you that this is indeed a characteristic of thier cut. So is the above photo a problem for the left and right stones? Will they crack along that edge? Do I slide in a sheet of copper, wood shim to ease the edge? Just leave it?

Thanks

Tinner666 (Tinner666)
Username: Tinner666

Post Number: 73
Posted on Thursday, August 18, 2011 - 01:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The trick is to nest them together. I might pick up 10-15, or more slates(!) looking for a combo that 'fits' like a glove. Look carefully at some of your slates across/down their lenght. They aren't as straight as you thought, I'll bet.
It's hard for me to explain, but one curving to the left, and one curving to the right and one bent this way or that will create a nice 'combo'.
Also, you can cut shoulders off the top corners to help in some cases. Maybe a 2",45degree slice can work wonders.
This won't help you here, but one way to get double thickness in places is to use 8" to 16" longer slate and strategically place them so they fit into two rows at once like this one I'm sliding into place here. Doing it this way automatically 'nests' them.
The roof is a Ragged Random with the 'base' size of 16x8 slate.

Slate Roof Repairs, Richmond, Va.

Lmroc (Lmroc)
Username: Lmroc

Post Number: 20
Posted on Thursday, August 18, 2011 - 11:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

DIY'er here and I ordered my slate with about 20% 3/8-1/2" larger then standard 1/4" so when I laid one of the pieces that came to be 1/2" it looks like I created an issue for the thinner slates that might crack in the near future. Is this a problem? What is the best practice to insure longevity? I tried to nail it to lay flat but its backside is also was not even. Thick purple vs surrounding Standard thickness

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration