Slate going on a DIY project Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Slate Roofs » Slate going on a DIY project « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Old_school (Old_school)
Username: Old_school

Post Number: 690
Posted on Friday, August 19, 2011 - 05:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Good guess, but bend it so that the point is up, then slide it in. Just a slight bend

Lmroc (Lmroc)
Username: Lmroc

Post Number: 22
Posted on Friday, August 19, 2011 - 03:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So I had not done this. Can I slide one in to cover the nail hole after the fact now? What is a bib... My guess its a flat sheet of copper that is 6" wide and 8" Long with the top edge bent over(pointed towards the ground) to grab the top edge of the slate? Or are their different ones depending on the size of your slate? My ar 18 long and random width.....9,10,11,12, 14.

Tinner666 (Tinner666)
Username: Tinner666

Post Number: 75
Posted on Thursday, August 18, 2011 - 07:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'd like to mention that it would be a good idea to put a bib under that 1st. keyway on the last course pictured, if you haven't already done so. The nail hole in the slate below it is really close, if not in the keyway. A bib costs pennies and is a simple tool to use while you're going up the roof, to prevent any potential future issues. Whenever I have even a 10% doubt, I bib. Coming back just isn't worth the trouble when I can nip it in the bud.

Slate Roof Repairs, Richmond, Va.

Chris (Chris)
Username: Chris

Post Number: 116
Posted on Thursday, August 18, 2011 - 01:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

very pretty!

Lmroc (Lmroc)

Post Number: 15
Posted on Tuesday, August 16, 2011 - 09:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ok...fun is sitting with my wife and having a glass of wine and here her say the neighbor is really excited and loves the slate. Then I read an article with the second glass of wine about how the nails have to go in but not too tight and I wonder about how well I achieved that........NOw that is fun......yes, I voce this country!

Old_school (Old_school)

Post Number: 686
Posted on Tuesday, August 16, 2011 - 08:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'll bet that you are not even thinking about going to the gym at the end of the day to work out either. Is this a great country our what?

Lmroc (Lmroc)

Post Number: 12
Posted on Tuesday, August 16, 2011 - 01:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Satisfiying yes...a ton of up and down with each slate because I am paranoid to place any weight on the deck slate. Fun?....can't say I am having fun since I am dead tired at the end of each day. And as for my neighbors.......they keep saying....."Laurence with all of that work it better not leak"

Old_school (Old_school)

Post Number: 683
Posted on Monday, August 15, 2011 - 08:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It is fun, isn't it?

Lmroc (Lmroc)

Post Number: 11
Posted on Monday, August 15, 2011 - 05:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just started to slate my DIY home project. I must say that Camara Slate arrived to California in real great condition. Just a very few.....4 tiles had cracks going through them. I do wonder if the purple stale is a little more fragile than the weathering Sea Green and weathering grey?Slate going on the DIY project

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration