Moss on slate roof - Problem or not? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Slate Roofs » Moss on slate roof - Problem or not? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Mike R.
Posted on Thursday, September 22, 2005 - 11:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have just purchased a 1920's English stone tudor in the Hiltonia section of Trenton, New Jersey.

According to the realtor, the slate is weathering green Vermont slate and appears to be in very good condition. I am reading the SRB and used the information there to judge the condition of the slate for myself. The previous owners recently had new copper flashing installed and kept very good records of all roof work from the 14 years they lived in the house. Of course I am having a professional slate roofer give it a once over when we move in so I know where I stand.

My question: On one side of the house, it is more shaded then the others and there is a patch of mossy growth on that section.

Is this something to be worried about and if it is, how can it be remedied?

Also, can someone pass along the name of a good slate roofer in the Trenton, New Jersey area?

The roof is a very steep pitch, are snow dams necessary?

I will upload a photo this evening.

Thanks in advance,

Mike R.

admin
Posted on Thursday, September 22, 2005 - 01:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Moss should not be a problem, but it can be scraped off.

Slate roofers are listed at http://www.jenkinsslate.com/directory.html

Snow guards keep ice and snow from falling on things below. If there is nothing below that matters, then you don't need them.

Mike R.
Posted on Thursday, September 22, 2005 - 10:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

URL to house photo in case anyone is interrested...

http://home.comcast.net/~michaeljohnr/house.jpg

admin
Posted on Friday, September 23, 2005 - 10:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You can't really see the roof in that photo, nor the moss.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration