Can I use slate floor tiles for roofi... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Slate Roofs » Can I use slate floor tiles for roofing? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Joe (Joe)
Username: Joe

Post Number: 623
Posted on Friday, July 22, 2011 - 11:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sounds like a bad idea if actual roofing slates are available. You can make a roof out of any flat shingle so long as you keep the headlap in place. Drilling flooring sounds like a lot of work to make a heavy roof. A 12" long slate would only have a 4.5" exposure.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Mddynamics (Mddynamics)
Username: Mddynamics

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, July 21, 2011 - 10:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello,
I am inquiring if it is possible to use exterior slate floor tiling for a roof. The tiles are 3/8" thick, 16"x16" and 12"x12". Also if I can do this are there any recommendations on how to drill the nail holes with the least risk to cracking and one last ignorant question- how (other than with experience) do you set the nail with enough force to penetrate the decking and seat the nail snuggly on the tile without risking breakingthe tile? Is it possible to use screws that can be controlled? Thanks for any advice you provide.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration