Lead sheet Flashing 86 year old Tudor Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Slate Roofs » Lead sheet Flashing 86 year old Tudor « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Mjtent (Mjtent)
Username: Mjtent

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, July 19, 2011 - 11:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I agree with old school. You can just use regular nails, but I think it is better if you'll use concrete nails.

CT Roof Repair | ]Roofing Contractor Hartford CT

Old_school (Old_school)
Username: Old_school

Post Number: 659
Posted on Friday, July 15, 2011 - 08:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

No problems there. Even regular EG nails will work on lead with no reaction.

If you have any problems at all with your sheet metal guy, get in touch with me. I can give you the number of my guy here and he will bend it for you and ship it to your door. It will be right too. If you are driving 45 minutes one way to get it now, it would be faster this way.

My man Ken is a roofer that is also a sheet metal man, and one of the best. I can't recommend him enough.

Lmroc (Lmroc)
Username: Lmroc

Post Number: 10
Posted on Thursday, July 14, 2011 - 06:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Old School. I see what I get back on Monday. I just searched the site for the issue of nailing a copper nail into a lead sheet. Will Lead and copper have a bad reaction or is there so issue between the two.

Laurence

Old_school (Old_school)

Post Number: 657
Posted on Wednesday, July 13, 2011 - 08:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

One of the guys that used to work for me runs a sheet metal shop now and I buy all of my flashing from him. I might have to pay a bit more, but it is perfect and he and I know exactly how each other thinks. He is really good. If it gets too bad, let me know and I will put you in contact with Ken. If you call him and explain what you are trying to do, he can fix it up for you and i guarantee you, it will work.

Lmroc (Lmroc)

Post Number: 9
Posted on Wednesday, July 13, 2011 - 12:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ok. what more can one do? I brought down two pieces of decrative flashing to get re-produced in 20 oz copper from it's original version in Galv. While I am there explaining that it would be better to extend the coverage of the flashing to protect the wood molding everything seams fine.....yeah right. I call the sheet metal house to check on my order and the kid says he had planned to call me. He wants me to verify the order again.....so I have to drive 40 minutes again to go over it. I get home and get a call again from him wanting to know if it's two sides of an arc. I have patients but......at some point, I think it might be best to work with someone who can listen (pay attention) I mean I brought down the actual piece.....he has it in hand! and the molding it is to cover......also sent him photos....not more I can do....accept punt! Bet he forgets to make it 4" longer so I can field fit the flashing.

Old_school (Old_school)

Post Number: 655
Posted on Sunday, July 10, 2011 - 02:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Know what you mean. My wife told me I had to get into shape. I told her that "round" was a shape. I will be 59 in less than a week and still love to be on the roof. It is all I have ever done and it does keep you in shape as you say. My legs are getting old though. I have learned to let the younger legs do the heavy lifting and we use scaffold and forklifts to make it easier.

Lmroc (Lmroc)

Post Number: 8
Posted on Sunday, July 10, 2011 - 02:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Prettty fun so far.....I found out what "in shape" means.....I am 49 years old and thought I was realitively fit. I believe this project has shown me there is " in shape" and then there is "Construction shape" I hadn't used my 19 oz. vaughn hammer in 5 years. Started to hand nail my rafters for a day. Then couldn't lift my arm the next morning....had my two high school kids smiling(laughing) at me all day long.

Old_school (Old_school)

Post Number: 653
Posted on Friday, July 08, 2011 - 09:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That will work. Play with it, it should be fun. Make sure and send us some pictures as you progress too. Varied colors with the 18 " randoms? That would be really neat.

Lmroc (Lmroc)

Post Number: 7
Posted on Wednesday, July 06, 2011 - 09:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Understand the comment with regards to sharks.

I have some experience with remodel work....not a lot of roofing though.

The valley picture is missing a shorter valley they installed bringing it to beyond the edge by about 1/2"

Old_school (Old_school)

Post Number: 652
Posted on Wednesday, July 06, 2011 - 06:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Shawn Camara does a very good job of quality control, and you will like the product you get. That is kind of a hard one to slate by yourself. Kind of like learning to swim by jumping into the 30 foot deep end of the pool with sharks swimming in it. Good luck!

Interesting how they stopped the valley metal about 2 inches short of the bottom of the valley. When you redo it, cut the metal so that it hangs out over the bottom of the left hand side of it a bit, and you should also extend the very bottom of the valley copper out beyond the point so that the water is directed entirely away from the point where you had all the problems. You would not need the lead flashing if it was running out beyond the valley. Just a thought!

Lmroc (Lmroc)

Post Number: 6
Posted on Tuesday, July 05, 2011 - 10:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes. I have ordered my slate and I am in the process of installing solid wood lath to fill in for the 4" gaps in the current lath.

I am going with 1/4" slate for 80% and 3/8 to 1/2 for 20%. Size will be 18" long and random with. Ordered from Camara Slate....by the way, I am in California and I went by California slate. They stock nothing but China and Brazil items.

Old_school (Old_school)

Post Number: 651
Posted on Tuesday, July 05, 2011 - 09:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Lead is easier to form and wrap than copper is. What are you doing to it, re-slating the whole thing?

Lmroc (Lmroc)

Post Number: 5
Posted on Tuesday, July 05, 2011 - 01:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here is another photoStep flashing at gutter

Lmroc (Lmroc)

Post Number: 4
Posted on Tuesday, July 05, 2011 - 01:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Newbie Slater (read that as homeowner) pulling the galv step flashing away and found some lead sheet at the wall. Should I remobve and replace it with 20 oz copper or replace it with lead sheet? They left the stucco open....small 1 inch holes to allow the water to drain out.

Should the corner of this be wrapped in copper flashing?lead flashing sheet

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration