De-icing cables on Slate? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Slate Roofs » De-icing cables on Slate? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Dan Riefstahl
Posted on Monday, August 01, 2005 - 02:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello,
I wondered if I could use deicing cables on my slate roof? I wanted to place them in my yankee gutter and downspout. It is a 1922 house with origianl PA gray slate in pretty god condition. I do have a finished attic with proper insulation,vapor barrier and soffit and gable ventalation. I think the heat loss is coming up from my lower foyer area. I have a ton of insulation above that area but none in the wall. I am starting to get brick damage (needing repointing) from the huge ice dams and iceciles down the wall. Rather than tear out thwe wall to insulate, I wanted to run a de-icing cable in that area. Is that OK?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

admin
Posted on Monday, August 01, 2005 - 09:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Should be OK. I have never installed one, but I have seen them on slate roofs. Make sue whoever installs it does not carelessly puncture the slate or apply tar to the surface. One installation method I have seen that seemed to work was drilling a small hole in the bottom of the slate with a masonry bit (about 3/16") about an inch from the bottom edge near one side (not in the middle) and feeding a wire through the hole, then hanging the heat cable on the wire.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration