Slate Shingle Repair Trick? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Slate Roofs » Slate Shingle Repair Trick? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Old_school (Old_school)
Username: Old_school

Post Number: 661
Posted on Wednesday, July 20, 2011 - 08:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

One other thing that helps is to give yourself a bit more room. Take a nail and put the head of it beneath the slate on either side of the one that you are trying to replace. The nails will hold up either side enough so that you should be able to move it easier. When you have it in place, take out the nails and it will lay down flat.

Mjtent (Mjtent)
Username: Mjtent

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, July 19, 2011 - 11:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wiggling is the technique to slide down the slate. I also use a piece of wood or a slate hammer.

CT Roof Repair | Roofing Contractor Hartford CT

Joe (Joe)
Username: Joe

Post Number: 614
Posted on Wednesday, June 01, 2011 - 06:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I slide the ripper underneath the slate and firmly put my hand on top of it, over the ripper. This allows me to wiggle the slate down.

Old_school (Old_school)
Username: Old_school

Post Number: 639
Posted on Monday, May 30, 2011 - 02:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Slide your slate ripper beneath it and wiggle it back and forth a bit. You may also have to use the tip of the slate hammer on the side of the slate to make it move. I have also used the point of the hammer to hook into the slate hook to expand it so that the slate will fit around it. Just play with it for a bit and they will eventually fit into place. Also, make sure that you replacement slate is the right size. If it is too large for the opening or "tight" it will not want to fall into place. good luck!

Kevin (Kevin)
Username: Kevin

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, May 30, 2011 - 10:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, I am a diy'er fixing a few slates on my house. Is there a trick to getting the slate to slide down onto the slate hook? It is the thicker slates that I have this issue with them being difficult to slide.

Thanks, Kevin.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration