Does it make sense to replace half of... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Slate Roofs » Does it make sense to replace half of the roof and not all? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Dave
Posted on Wednesday, July 06, 2005 - 11:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There was a very bad hail storm at my home that seriously damaged 2 sides for my roof. I would guess 75% on the side facing the backyard have holes or large chips in them. The side above the garage shows damage to about 50% of the slates. All of the other sides you see when facing the front of the home show much less damage. I would guess 50 slates on those sides total. The home was built in 1933 and has mostly Pennsylvania slate with some Vermont mixed in. My question is this, would it make sense to replace just the two sides that took the worst of the storm and spot repair the other two sides? My insurance is saying that is all they will cover at this point, but I am afraid it will look funny with two new sides and two old ones. It was a very attractive roof that matched all the way around before the storm and I want the same after. What do you see in these cases most often? Here is a link to some thumbnails of photos of the home for reference. http://webpagebuilders.com/butler.htm
Thanks for your time.

Jeff
Posted on Wednesday, July 06, 2005 - 01:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dave, we may be able to help you. We work with a lot of home owners wanting to repair slate roofs. We have a large inventory of new and used slate for sale. Please call or email us to discuss.
Jeff
Vermont Specialty Slate
802-247-6615
slate@vtslate.com

Christopher Paulin
Posted on Wednesday, July 06, 2005 - 07:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dave, the existing slate can be matched so that the repairs match perfectly. We have done several historic restoration projects very similar to yours and would like the chance to be of assistance.

Regards,

Christopher Paulin
Paulin Slate & Copper Co.
t.330.242.1574
paulinslate@yahoo.com

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration