Venting Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Slate Roofs » Venting « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jimmyjim (Jimmyjim)
Username: Jimmyjim

Post Number: 56
Posted on Sunday, April 17, 2011 - 08:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Will do......thank you both for your help.

Old_school (Old_school)
Username: Old_school

Post Number: 613
Posted on Sunday, April 17, 2011 - 02:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Any of the big box stores will have them and also the roofing supply houses. We used to get them and then make a new shroud with copper, but that is not necessary. They will come in a dark bronze look if you like. Get the one that has a humidistat and a thermostat built in. Wire it up and forget it.

Jimmyjim (Jimmyjim)

Post Number: 55
Posted on Sunday, April 17, 2011 - 08:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, the ridge at the top is fairly short- about 4 1/2 feet just guessing. I was considering a power vent- there seem to be many on the market. I like the idea of a solar powered one, but assume it may not last as long as an electric one, but maybe that's incorrect.

I was searching for a power vent for a slate roof, but couldn't find any specific to slate roofs. Any recommendations?

Thanks for your help!

Old_school (Old_school)
Username: Old_school

Post Number: 612
Posted on Saturday, April 16, 2011 - 07:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What Blue Sky said. I would cut pieces of rigid insulation the width of the rafters and put that between them with a 2" air space above it. Strike a line or put in some 2" pieces of wood to hold it off from the decking. That will give you the air space and then fill the rest with batts or spray it in. Vent the top ridge with either a ridge vent or power vent, (power vent for a slate roof) and make sure you have an intake at the bottom. If you are going to have a power vent, make SURE you have a lot of intake at the bottom. No excuses.

Blue_sky_roofing (Blue_sky_roofing)
Advanced Member
Username: Blue_sky_roofing

Post Number: 46
Posted on Saturday, April 16, 2011 - 04:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was expecting another kind of venting - like ticked-off about something. Haha

You want anywhere from 50% intake - 50% exhaust to 60% intake - 40 % exhaust. How much footage of ridge do you have? If you only have 3' - 6' of ridge than perhaps a power exhaust would be better. I assume that you will have a small section of attic space above the finished room.

Jimmyjim (Jimmyjim)

Post Number: 54
Posted on Saturday, April 16, 2011 - 02:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thoughts please. I'm wondering if I should bother putting a roof vent on or not. I have a 4 square w/hip roof and want to make the attic into a room insulating the roof with fiberglass and baffles for air flow from soffit vents. It gets hotter than hell up there in the summer. Wondering if it would even help.

One more thing....I was wondering if I put in a roof vent or two if I could then add a whole house fan in the ceiling of the finished room. Put one in my previous house (vented to empty attic with gable vents) and really miss it.

Thanks-
Jim

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration