Precast concrete ridge caps Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Slate Roofs » Precast concrete ridge caps « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Milo (Milo)
Username: Milo

Post Number: 14
Posted on Wednesday, April 06, 2011 - 08:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wyat,
If you're dead set on making your own concrete ridge caps the following book may be of interest to you...
http://www.lindsaybks.com/bks8/concr/index.html

Milo

Epl (Epl)
Username: Epl

Post Number: 108
Posted on Monday, April 04, 2011 - 09:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

John,
I agree with your statements - no need to re-invent the wheel. There's plenty of concrete hip/ ridge on the market at very reasonable amounts. I have nearly any style in stock ranging from $8.00 to $12.00 each (new and salvaged).

I don't see how you can make them yourself less than that.
Eric P. Loema

Sales | Salvage | Procurement

P (800) 699-5695 | F (815) 547-1425

Web: www.TileandSlateSales.com | www.ClayTileRoof.com

E-mail: epl@TileandSlateSales.com | epl@ClayTileRoof.com

Old_school (Old_school)
Username: Old_school

Post Number: 608
Posted on Sunday, April 03, 2011 - 02:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Don't re-invent the wheel. If you want to make them, call someone like Vandehey tile or Monier tile and ask them. Them make molds for that and cast them. I am not sure what the mixture is, but I assure you that there is no re-bar and no fibre in them. I have used thousands on tile roofs.

For clay, go to Ludowici tile or U.S. clay tile. There are others, but that is a good place to start. I would think that clay would be harder to make as you have to fire them. concrete is dried in a kiln, but that is not as hot.

Hey, maybe you can just buy them from the manufacturer. A lot cheaper for you and better for them.

Mossywyatt (Mossywyatt)
Username: Mossywyatt

Post Number: 7
Posted on Saturday, April 02, 2011 - 09:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I wanted to make them myself. I was looking for tips (how thick, type of concrete, rebar, fibers, etc). I see alot of styles(some are clay) that i like but they are all in england
thanks wyatt

Old_school (Old_school)
Username: Old_school

Post Number: 607
Posted on Saturday, April 02, 2011 - 09:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

They make them all the time, for the last 80 years? What are you talking about? Any of the concrete ridge caps they make for concrete tile will work on a slate roof if that is what you are talking about.

Joe had an article about that in the last Traditional roofing Mag.

Mossywyatt (Mossywyatt)
Username: Mossywyatt

Post Number: 6
Posted on Saturday, April 02, 2011 - 03:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

has anyone made precast concrete ridge caps thank wyatt

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration