Mansard roof - ice damming Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Slate Roofs » Mansard roof - ice damming « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Old_school (Old_school)
Username: Old_school

Post Number: 597
Posted on Saturday, March 12, 2011 - 09:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The picture helps a lot. That is just the built in gutter at the bottom of the mansard! I would imagine that it is the gutter that hopefully pitches to the outlets, and then a slight curve to where the slate starts.

I doubt if the problem is from the slates or the slate installation. It looks to be about as old as the building; 80- 100 years? I do see some missing or cracked slates near the bottom as you were saying, but these should be fixed or replaced when you have the sheet metal looked at and replaced/repaired.

I noticed on your round front porch that they had installed an extra downspout in the middle of the curved part to conpensate for the sagging of the face between the posts. Gravity is taking its toll on the old structure. You will find the same problems are showing up on the upper roof. These should be addressed sooner than later. Without closeup of the bottom of the roof at the gutter and slate intersection it is hard to say, but I suspect a split in a joint or a needed expansion joint. Good luck.

Nice old building by the way!

Lucerne96 (Lucerne96)
Username: Lucerne96

Post Number: 5
Posted on Friday, March 11, 2011 - 10:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

catwalk

Lucerne96 (Lucerne96)

Post Number: 3
Posted on Friday, March 11, 2011 - 08:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The catwalk is at the base of the Mansard "roof" (really siding).

We have had unusually brutal snows the past few years. Snow collects on the catwalk for several weeks/months.

I have tried to post a pix but with no success, as the pix is too big.

I can send in a separate attachment

Old_school (Old_school)
Username: Old_school

Post Number: 595
Posted on Friday, March 11, 2011 - 08:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am having a hard time getting my mind around the problem. How is the "catwalk" interfacing with the roof? Is it above the break in the mansard roof, or at the bottom? Is the ice buildup at the top of the mansard, and if so, how steep is the roof on the top section where the ice would have a chance to build up? Why do you need a "catwalk" any where near the roof?

Lucerne96 (Lucerne96)

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, March 11, 2011 - 12:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a slate mansard roof with a catwalk. I have noticed that the first several courses of slate are decaying more rapidly than the rest.

This winter we had alot of snow. Typically, we had 3+ feet of standing snow on the catwalk for weeks. On warm days, a leak was noticed associated with the area of the snow encrusted catwalk.

Would you recommend putting a rubber membrane under the slate to compensate for the snow problem? Would bibs be of any value?

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration