Gable built without overhang--leaks w... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Slate Roofs » Gable built without overhang--leaks with rain and high winds « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Joe (Joe)
Username: Joe

Post Number: 591
Posted on Saturday, March 12, 2011 - 01:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I would have someone who is knowledgeable about slate roofs take a close look at the gable edge (after seeing where the water is leaking inside). You may have a specific fault in a spot that is causing the leak. Also, the leak may not be coming from the roof. A seasoned slater with a lot of experience can track down the source of a leak.

Blue_sky_roofing (Blue_sky_roofing)
Advanced Member
Username: Blue_sky_roofing

Post Number: 45
Posted on Tuesday, March 08, 2011 - 06:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hogwash! - on not being able to use drip edge.

What needs to be done is remove the slate along the edge, install drip edge, and reinstall slate with slate sticking out past the drip edge 1". You will have to rework slate with some wider pieces accordingly, so you don't have little 2" slates every other row.
It's a relatively simple repair.

Walkabout21 (Walkabout21)
Username: Walkabout21

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, March 08, 2011 - 10:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My 125 year slate roof in Bethlehem PA has served me well with the exception of one nagging problem. When rain blows sideways I get a leak from the back portion of the roof gable that was built without any overhang. I have been told the lack of an overhang prevents installation of a drip edge to prevent these sorts of leaks. The solution I have been given is caulk which only works for a short time. Any suggestions?

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration