Installing Roof Mount Hanger for Half... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Slate Roofs » Installing Roof Mount Hanger for Half Round « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Blue_sky_roofing (Blue_sky_roofing)
Advanced Member
Username: Blue_sky_roofing

Post Number: 44
Posted on Thursday, March 03, 2011 - 08:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you really have the time & patience, recess the hangers in the roof deck so they are flush. Perferrably over rafters. And notch the lower edge of the sheating so hanger fits flush that way too; and then you can install drip edge without having to notch it.
Use screws. I've seen heavy snow /ice loads leverage the hangers loose.
Don't forget to put felt paper over the I&W (that is if the I&W has a granular top base) for a divorcing material.

Bud (Bud)
Username: Bud

Post Number: 59
Posted on Thursday, February 24, 2011 - 09:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you are looking at shingles, take a look at the Certainteed Mastershingle Applicator book, you should be able to view it on line.

Stay with slate and get Joe's Book.

Nick (Nick)
Username: Nick

Post Number: 4
Posted on Wednesday, February 23, 2011 - 10:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My question is centered on the Berger Bros Shank #25 roof mount hanger. I have a complete all-copper hanger system that includes the shank, 5" circle with spring clip, and extension shank to achieve clearance from 12/12 roof line. I am replacing my slate roof (slate versus asphalt still in debate) and will take the opportunity to replace old Philadelphia gutters with a 5" half round system. With recently restored custom angled fascia crown molding that is a must to preserve, my questions are:

1. What is the correct order of installation: ice & water shield, then drip edge, then hanger, then roofing material?
2. If asphalt, then given that the drip edge should have a horizontal extension for shingle support, should this drip edge extension be notched at every hanger so that the hanger stays snug against and strengthened by the actual roof deck edge? If slate, then how would the hanger sit on the drip edge cant - does cant need to be notched somehow?
3. Should the hanger be nailed or screwed? By itself, the hanger profile is nominally.24" and a screw head and washer would bring this to 0.5". Regardless of nailed or screwed, what is the recommended way to avoid any perceivable wave effect in the first roofing course?
4. Are these hangers still considered as having good performance record?

Thanks,
Nick

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration