Hip and ridges Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Slate Roofs » Hip and ridges « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Gary
Posted on Wednesday, May 11, 2005 - 02:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am repairing an existing slate roof that has no nailer at the hip and ridges. I have been contracted to remove the existing hip and ridge slates, cut back the field slates as necessary to install a nailer and replace the slates with the proper flashing system. I was wondering if any one had an idea on the best method for cutting the field tiles to make room for the nailer. I have a gas tiles saw but I am affraid of damaging the felt paper and breaking too many slates in the process. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Walter Musson
Posted on Wednesday, May 11, 2005 - 04:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You could remove them as well,cut them back while off,install your nailer then reinstall hip slates on both sides and lastly cap slates with flashing.
A 4" angle grinder with a diamond wheel will cut them in place,but with lots of dust and as you say the chance to do damage that you would have to correct

Gary
Posted on Wednesday, May 11, 2005 - 09:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanx for the tip! I think I'll try the grinder first and see if it can be used without damaging the felt paper. I hope it does, I am dreading the thought of cutting each one individually while off. The house has about 400 feet total of hip and ridge. One thought I had was to remove the existing cut slate and the full one next to it then simply cut the full slate vertically just enough to bring the existing cut slate over so as to have room to fit the nailer in place. By doing this I will be able to use the existing cut slate, nail holes and all. Although it may be easier to drill new nail holes instead of having an additional slate to remove and replace.

admin
Posted on Wednesday, May 11, 2005 - 11:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It shouldn't matter if the felt paper is cut or damaged. If the roof is already old, the felt paper is useless anyway. When the hip is properly installed, no water will penetrate the slates and flashing, so any or no felt paper underneath it doesn't really matter.

Walter Musson
Posted on Thursday, May 12, 2005 - 05:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The damage I meant was from a grinder gone amuk-cutting others you didn't anticipate by hard to control cuts.You don't have total control of it while cutting in awkward places.Be careful!

admin
Posted on Friday, May 13, 2005 - 01:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I can see some potential problems usings a grinder to cut along existing hip slates, particularly a) cutting through nails, and b) cutting below existing nails and then watching as the slates fall off. It may be easier to remove the slates and recut them or to do a combination: remove the top layer of slates and then cut the rst with the diamond blade.

My question is this, however - why do any of it in the first place? Traditional slate hips rarely had wooden nailers and none are required. I'm not sure that retrofitting an existing hip to include wooden nailers serves any real purpose. Or am I missing the point here?

If flashing the hips is desired, the hip slates could be removed, the flashing installed, and the hip slates replaced as they were originally installed. Just thinking out loud.

Joe

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration