INTERNATIONAL SLATING STYLES Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Slate Roofs » INTERNATIONAL SLATING STYLES « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Anonymous
Posted on Thursday, September 20, 2001 - 11:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

In view of the fact that novices will use your website and American slating
methods are very different to those used in the UK and other parts of
Europe, I think you should place a general warning that you are descibing
how to slate in the USA and that people should seek local advice on how
slating should be done in their own country.

Joe Jenkins
Posted on Thursday, September 20, 2001 - 12:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You do make a good point. Slating methods differ from country to country, even from the UK to Scotland, not to mention from Europe to the US. It did not occur to me that Europeans would view my site and then assume that our methods of slating are the same as the traditional methods in their own country. On the other hand, European methods will work here and American methods will work there. In fact, we have quite a few older slate roofs here in the US that have been installed with the traditional European style of lath and graduated slates of random widths. The problem with this style, however, is repairing or restoring the roof a century later. It's a lot easier to do so if the roof is built with a continuous wood deck than with lath, for example. So I don't want to discourage Europeans from using American techniques either.

I will try to create a page on this site that illustrates the various slating styles around the world.

Sun Jianwen
Posted on Sunday, May 09, 2004 - 02:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I want to konw who produce slates with material of Glass Fiber Reinforced Cement. where can i get the difference between the slates with different materials? thanks.

robin
Posted on Sunday, May 22, 2005 - 12:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yep, european slaters read these pages also and find them very interesting.. Most different is the way we handle the details on the roofs. My clients here would never accept details like u in the us, and I guess vice versa.. Spain has got 95% of the market here ( on nature slate). If needed I can help u with that page:-) I work with different styles. also you usa-style. Hardest is the 'alt-deutsche schiefer deckungsart'(old german slate-roofing art) But yu can do amazing stuff with that and thay manage to fix the herdest details without use of 'plumb' (pb - not sure boutenglish word). We also often work with ornaments in slate walls.. pictures sent on request

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration