Stortz 83-B Right Hand Slate Hammer Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Slate Roofs » Stortz 83-B Right Hand Slate Hammer « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Joe (Joe)
Username: Joe

Post Number: 587
Posted on Thursday, January 27, 2011 - 01:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

How about a cutting edge on both sides of the shank so it can be right or left handed?

Lexi225 (Lexi225)
Username: Lexi225

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, January 27, 2011 - 10:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If anyone is doing regular remedial work like myself on old roofs these hammers are not that good. They do not reach into where the nails are.
When you do reach a nail you are bridgng across other slates which can break as you appy leverage.

Also a small head is preferable to reach tight spaces where small slates are re-nailed. The big head is more clumsy and hits other slates.
The hammer looks lovely for new work. Totally different to our original Brades types here in UK.

I use a home made hammer for repairs. I still need to carry ripper and slate knife on my person though.

Old_school (Old_school)
Username: Old_school

Post Number: 576
Posted on Wednesday, January 26, 2011 - 06:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the striking faced knurled

Slate_man (Slate_man)
Username: Slate_man

Post Number: 643
Posted on Wednesday, January 26, 2011 - 12:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I like what Chris suggested. I also like to see a hammer made for heavier slates like 3/4, so that would mean adding some weigth to the hammer as a whole. I know alot of peolpe like the older model with the square heads! The nail puller works better in this design for the common nails the older one seem to be better as a pry bar for the removal of the slate and roofing nails.

Bud (Bud)
Advanced Member
Username: Bud

Post Number: 50
Posted on Tuesday, January 25, 2011 - 07:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Lazer sights!

Seriously though, I have to ask what makes you think that it might need changes. I don't have this model however I have considered purchasing it this year so I guess I would like to know if I want the old or the new. (maybe I should get one of each)

Chris (Chris)
Username: Chris

Post Number: 77
Posted on Tuesday, January 25, 2011 - 03:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

great hammer! how about etching measuring marks into the hammer? This way when i go to layout my overhangs for the drip edges and the rakes, i do not need to use a measuring tape.
I could just hold my storz hammer flush to the surface.

Stortztools (Stortztools)
Username: Stortztools

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, January 25, 2011 - 01:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here is a picture of the current Stortz 83-B Right Handed Slate Hammer:

At Stortz Tools, we are considering making some design changes to our current model of the right handed slate hammer. We thought that this forum of experienced slate roofers would be a good place to gain some feedback on what people thought of our hammer, both good and bad. Some points of interest to comment on would be the nail claw, the weight / balance, the beveled mid-section for trimming, the handle shape and general feel of the hammer. Anything else that comes to mind we would welcome hearing from you. Thank you in advance for any input.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration