What type of slate is this? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Slate Roofs » What type of slate is this? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

JG Bowman
Posted on Saturday, April 30, 2005 - 08:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

We're looking at a 45 year old house with a slate roof. Once we get to an inspection phase, I figure we'll have Jenkins evaluate it. Until then, can someone tell me what kind of slate this is? Sorry the pic is so small, it's from the realtor.

http://tinypic.com/4sd891

Barry Smith
Posted on Saturday, April 30, 2005 - 01:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It really isn't possible to make a positive ID from that picture, but I'll take a sporting shot at it. We'll have to wait to see what the right answer is.

Vermont unfading green with a little purple mixed in.

admin
Posted on Sunday, May 01, 2005 - 12:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It's hard to say from that photo. The resolution is too poor.

Joe

robin
Posted on Sunday, May 22, 2005 - 01:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

semiwheatering vermont green-grey, but picis too bad indeed. looks good btw

Nicole Rosenzweig
Posted on Monday, July 18, 2005 - 11:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This is a 75 year old house..can you tell me what type of slate we have and where we can puchase about 100 pieces? We live in MD and, perhaps incorrectly, believe we can replace flashing and some broken slate with the Slate Roof Bible as our guide. This is our first house (no experience with slate roofs yet).

http://mysite.verizon.net/nwhite4/_private/show3.htm

admin
Posted on Monday, July 18, 2005 - 12:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It looks like Peach Bottom.

http://www.slateroofcentral.com/usedslate.htm

Nicole Rosenzweig
Posted on Monday, July 18, 2005 - 12:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

One of the slate-contractors that we got an estimate from thought it was Buckingham. But, he also seemed a little dim.

thanks!

Joe Jenkins (Admin)
Posted on Tuesday, July 19, 2005 - 07:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Buckingham and Peach Bottom are similar. Sometimes it's hard to tell them apart on old roofs. Buckingham tends to have more sparkle in the sunlight.

Nicole Rosenzweig
Posted on Tuesday, July 19, 2005 - 09:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It was a stupid comment. I appreciate the comparison, though.

Nicole Rosenzweig
Posted on Thursday, July 28, 2005 - 09:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

We have square slate and the slate is not graduated in size. I am wondering where different slate sizes would be used. For instance, is it common for the same slate size to be used everywhere other than the ridge, apron, and the edges? We're about to buy slate to repair broken pieces and slate that has been tarred over. All of these pieces are in the body or next to step flashing. I can only measure the longest dimension of the slate, though, at the edge of the roof. Is there any reason to expect that this dimension will change throughout the roof?

If this topic is covered in the Slate Roof Bible, please just let me know in which section it is covered. I did not find it.

Thank you!

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration