Advice needed on 1901 Slate Roof Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Slate Roof Central Message Board » Slate Roofs » Advice needed on 1901 Slate Roof « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

K. Ernst
Posted on Sunday, April 10, 2005 - 08:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

We live in a 1901 home in New Jersey. We are considering selling and had a contractor look at the roof. He said he never saw anything like it - the slate tiles are "cemented" onto 1x2s - there is no decking at all. Is this normal? We have a few pieces missing - but not a lot. We do not know if it's worth it to have it repaired or replaced. Any advise would be appreciated.

Peter
Posted on Sunday, April 10, 2005 - 09:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi,

In my part of the world there is nothing wrong with the way your roof was fitted, in fact roofs with complete decking are the unusual here.

We call the cement you see "Rendering" it used to be done by the apprentice plasterers, I have a customer with a roof 150 years old and still working with a little maintenance every year.

The slates would have been nailed to the laths as well so it's not just the render that's holding everything together.

Repairs should be ok depending on the type and condition of the slate.

Kind Regards,

Peter Crawley, M.I.o.R.

www.crawleyroofing.com

admin
Posted on Monday, April 11, 2005 - 11:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

K. Ernst: By cement, do you mean masonry cement, or roof mastic? If the slates were installed with masonry cement, it was probably an early immigrant from the UK who did the installation, since masonry cement is a common element on slate roofs over there. It is extremely uncommon here, however.

If it's roof cement, that's another story. That's unheard of.

1x2 slaters lath is fairly common in the US, especially in areas where UK immigrants installed the roofs (on the eastern seaboard). Scots, for example, typically used solid planking, but the other UK areas (England, Wales) and northern France typically installed slate on lath strips or battens. It's still common in Europe to install slates on battens, but not common in the US.

Joe

Peter
Posted on Tuesday, April 12, 2005 - 06:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ahem ?

Joe, Ireland Please :)

Kind Regards,

Peter Crawley, M.I.o.R.

www.crawleyroofing.com

admin
Posted on Wednesday, April 13, 2005 - 11:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sorry.

Joe

Chris Kaz
Posted on Friday, April 15, 2005 - 11:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi,
I live in an old grist mill that has this type of roof. I have quite a bit of icicles (and I assume ice dams) in winter that I am concerned about. I have no idea how to address this. Most of what I have seen on the web requires having decking. We have a large attic that is open to the outside on one end (the pulley overhang from the old mill) and ~2 foot think stone walls. The ice dams are the worst where the chimney (pellet stove is). Any comments/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time,

Chris

Chris Kaz
Posted on Friday, April 15, 2005 - 11:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I guess I should mention that I currently do not have gutters, but am inthe process of getting copper gutters. I would like to address the ice dam problem (if I can) when the gutters are being installed since the last row of slate will be replaced when the gutters are installed
Thanks Again

Chris

admin
Posted on Tuesday, April 19, 2005 - 01:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sounds like an insulation issue. The slate lath/wood deck issue is not very relevant. They both are suitable for slate roofs. Your stove is melting the snow on that portion of the roof. Can you add insulation? Also, make sure your gutters are below the plane of the roof so they don't get knocked off by an ice avalanche.

Joe Jenkins

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration